• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR CC too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajku81

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hi, I have about 177 gb of photos in my CC (still working thru my classic to cc migration)
in the mean time I purchased iMacPro and wanted to make it as my primary computer.
I have "store a copy of all originals..." checked in my preferences. It points to my Drobo drive.
Installed CC in my new iMac Pro. Pointed to the same location for "store a copy of all originals..."
LR CC in iMac pro shows it is still syncing. Not sure what it is syncing. All originals are already in the specified location. It is also very slow and frustrating.
Please help... thank you in advance!

I'm not sure it's too smart (or even necessary?) to point both installations to the same shared location for the originals copy, for one thing if you don't get the location spot on you'll end up with both apps downloading a separate full copy. That may be what's happening here, so if you post a screenshot of the Local Storage tab of the Preferences from each installation we can check that.

Because I still use Classic as well as LRCC, I regard the Classic set of files as the "masters", which are backed up of course. So for the LRCC app on the same system I do NOT have "Store a copy of all originals locally" checked, but I DO have "Store copy of all Smart Previews locally" checked. Even though that means that LRCC will need to download a copy of the original file should I start editing it in LRCC, I find that the local Smart Preview (which is on the fast system drive) provides acceptable performance for general scrolling/organising.

Thank you Jim. I might not have been clear in my previous post, but I did switch settings on my MacBook Pro to not store a local copy anymore, instead have my iMac pro to do it since it is always on, newer machine, fast etc.

Since I didn’t want iMac pro to download all files, I pointed it to the location in Drobo where my MacBook Pro had downloaded them.

Will LR CC on my iMac pro know that the files already exist there or will it download it anyway and then compare and do whatever action needs to be done??

Will LR CC on my iMac pro know that the files already exist there or will it download it anyway and then compare and do whatever action needs to be done??

That's a good question, and TBH I'm not actually sure how clever it gets. For instance, as soon as you uncheck that option on the MBP all of the already-downloaded originals became eligible for deletion. The speed with which that deletion occurs is very dependent upon other settings and on the amount of free space on the drive....so it's possible that some of those files were deleted immediately. Then when you check the option on the iMac, pointing to the same location on the Drobo, you're dependent upon some "smarts" to verify what's already there and to only download any missing files.....but I don't know how smart that really is, as it's not a scenario that I've ever felt the need to test.

At the very least, double-check the location setting in the iMac preferences to make sure it's correct, bearing in mind that the specified location is only a top-level folder and there's a specific set of sub-folders which includes a long alpha-numeric folder name which is unique to the Adobe ID being used. Check to make sure that there's only one such folder in the hierarchy....

Thank you again, Jim.
Since I have lots of storage space on Drobo, capacity shouldn't be an issue. Should I point the "store a copy of all originals..." to a new location in Drobo from my iMac pro and let it download all 177 gb again and be done with this issue?
Per your advice, checked the location setting on iMac pro and it is correct and it is only the top level folder. There is only one folder with long alphanumeric name inside this folder, and all the sub folders are still present.

It sounds OK, so probably no need to switch location. It it still syncing though?

yes it is still syncing.
But the LR CC experience in iMac pro is too slow, switching from 1 album to another takes almost 1 minute or more for the photos in the other album to show.
I'm assuming this syncing thing is causing the slowness.

Try pausing syncing to see if that is indeed causing the slowness (I've never experienced anything like that).

I paused syncing. Even now switching from one album to another is very slow. 1 to 2 minutes. Once inside an album, scrolling between photos seem to be okay.

I haven't tested it, but according to the engineers, this should work (if I've understood you correctly)

Thanks Victoria. I see few of the folders in my library are synced now but majority are still syncing. I wonder if I change the location of local copy to a new location and let LR CC redownload all photos and if that would be faster??

It's probably syncing down the database and smart previews again, but having the originals set to the existing custom location should save it having to download those again too.

LR CC has finished syncing now. No active syncing at the moment. When I go from one album to another, it still takes about a minute or so. Any advice on what I can do?

I talked to Adobe support yesterday. He advised me not to use Drobo for local storage of photos, instead use a USB connected hard drive. He mentioned that Drobo or network drives can create a "conflict" and could be reason for my issue. The response/solution he gave wasn't convincing to me. What do people generally use for storing local copies?

I talked to Adobe support yesterday. He advised me not to use Drobo for local storage of photos, instead use a USB connected hard drive. He mentioned that Drobo or network drives can create a "conflict" and could be reason for my issue. The response/solution he gave wasn't convincing to me. What do people generally use for storing local copies?

Okay, I did some "what if scenarios" - disconnected my Drobo drive, reopened LR CC. Got a message that local drive is not found and will use cloud based previews... and it was super fast loading previews, switching from one album to another etc. Connected Drobo back. Reopened LR CC, now switching between folder is ridiculously slow. Somehow when I have Drobo connected, LR CC is looking for it for generating the previews. What is the best practice for drives for local storage? Has anyone had this issue?

I'd go USB. I've heard reports of storage of NAS units being slow too.

Victoria, Any advice/recommendation on fast external storage device?

Aim for USB3 or Thunderbolt. Doesn't need to be crazy fast. I have a WD My Book Duo 8TB sat on my desk which is doing pretty well, and I back that up to my NAS.

Thank you. Just ordered
G-Technology 4TB G-DRIVE Thunderbolt 3 External Hard Drive

Will keep the thread posted on developments. Thanks for all your help.

I purchased a G Technology Thunderbolt 3 HD and setup to store local copies of LR CC originals. Everything is working just fine now. It looks like the problem I faced with had something to do with LR CC and Drobo compatibility. If anyone is new to LR CC, don't use Drobo as storage location for full size originals.

Computer: MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2.3 Ghz Intel Core I7, 16Gb 1600 Mhz DDR3 Ram
Operating System: OS X Mojave v10.14.3
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic version 8.2 [ 1204643 ]

Hi;

I need to work off of LR CC as I am in the field a lot and only carry an iPad Pro with me. But, I want a full backup of my stuff, so this is what I did:
  1. Migrated my LR Classic to LR CC, 59K files. Waited 5 days for it to complete
  2. Moved my LR Classic catalog and photos to a backup drive
  3. Started LR Classic clean and setup all preferences and catalog as before (this is to a local SSD as well)
  4. After 3.5 days, I have only downloaded 6977 of the 59K photos and it only took 5 days for an upload
  5. Speedtest.net indicates 294Mbps download and 12Mbps upload and iStat menus indicates barely 1Kbps download for LR
  6. So, my internet provider does not have me throttled, my CPU is only at 14% and I have 6GB free ram
I have, of course, rebooted numerous times and made sure nothing extraneous is running.

Anyone have any ideas why downloading from the LR Cloud is over 10 times slower than uploading... ridiculous!!

Thanks,
Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back