• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR CC taking up way too much space on internal HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi all.
I recently migrated across to LR CC from LR Desktop and its finished backing up 1TB of photos.
But even with the settings to say do not store originals its taking up 1TB of space on my HD.
Any ideas why and how I can shed the space?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.25.38.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.25.38.png
    163.1 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.25.48.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.25.48.png
    372.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.25.05.png
    Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.25.05.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 173
When you migrate a Classic catalog (or import a new set of images), Lightroom first copies the images to the specified location for downloaded originals. Once the upload has completed, those copy images become eligible for deletion....but that might not happen immediately. If for instance the drive that contains those images has plenty of free space, they may not be deleted for a while (depends also on how often you access them). So I wouldn't worry if they're still there, unless you need the space for something else....in which case you can safely delete them manually if you want to. I've never bothered to do that, as I have plenty of free space on the designated drive, and it can be useful to have originals locally.

What is that ‘Lightroom CC’ folder? Lightroom (cloud) does not create this. According to your second screenshot, Lightroom only takes about 100 GB (the photo cache).
Unfortunately, Adobe haven't quite caught up with their removal of the "CC" label....the stored originals (and designated interim folder for imports/migrations) still has a parent folder called "Lightroom CC". Even if you designate a different parent folder, you should see "Lightroom CC" at the next level down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back