• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The February 2018 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Enhance Detail. Lightroom CC has lots of big improvements on the desktop, including HDR Merge, Panorama Merge, Targeted Adjustment Tool and more. The Lightroom Queen eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you using Lightroom CC on Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV or in a web browser? Are you syncing your photos to the cloud? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro! It shows you how to use the full Lightroom CC ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also learn the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily.

LR CC re-syncing all photos?

erro

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I upgraded from 5.6 to CC the other day, and yesterday I realized my PC was working furiously. It turned out it was syncing 1400 photos, which more or less corresponds to the number of synced photos I have in total. I have not added any new photos to my synced collections during these few days, and certainly not 1400 new. Has my upgrade to CC forced the mobile sync to re-upload all my synced photos for some reason? The sync process is taking quite a while so it seems that it is syncing actual photos, not just metadata. The only difference between now and a week ago is the CC upgrade plus I have started using face recognition on perhaps 10.000 photos.

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
I don't know, Robert. I would think maybe the face recognition stuff might have caused some metadata updates, but not image edits that require the complete smart preview being synced again. I don't think that's a typical LR6/CC thing, so I can't really explain it.

erro

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
A few new keywords due to face recognition, yes. But given the time the sync takes, and the load on the processor, it doesn't feel like just metadata being synced. Strange.....

RogerB

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I saw this happen too when I ran LRCC for the first time. Once the sync had completed it's been fine. My assumption was that for some reason the synced status couldn't be carried over in the catalogue upgrade from v5, but that's just a guess, and if correct would affect every upgrade, not just a few people.