• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR CC: Kind of outside-of-the-box setup. Will it work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassiman

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi,

I have a question about LightRoom CC that I want to put out there. My wife and I both use LRCC but we do different types of work.

1. We have all of over original RAW and JPG files stored on our network RAID 1 server. All existing files and new files will be stored there.

2. I am initially going to create a new LR catalog that will live on my Mac. I am going to use the ADD function to build the LRCC catalog on my Mac building a base collection of images that will be sortable by EXIF data, Metadata that I add on import, and Face recognition. I will use smart previews.
The LR CC catalog will point at actual image data will be located on our server RAID 1 drive.

3. After building this initial catalog I want to copy it onto my wife's computer to act as a basis for her searchable LR catalog. Since all of the pointers in the LRCC catalog point to the same images on the server I can't see this as being a problem.... or is it?

4. I think that this will work so long as no changes are made to the original file's name or its location on the server. Smart previews will allow us to work on images even when the server is not connected and changes to edited files need not be synced between workstations as the changes reside with the LRCC catalog data and not the images file on the server,... correct?

Thanks

If they are both Macs and the volume name of the mounted NAS drive is the same, then you can copy the catalog to any OS X machine. You can also copy the catalog to a Windows machine, but because of drive letters used by Windows, the parent folder may show as missing until you use the find missing folder function to associate the Windows drive letter with the NAS drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back