• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR CC catalog file has 7.3GB

Status
Not open for further replies.

olodum111

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
My LR CC catalog file has 7.3GB. what can I safely delete to reduce the size? New to forum, sorry if this in another thread!

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Are you referring to the size of the actual .lrcat file, or are you including the Previews.lrdata as well?

If you are meaning just the .lrcat catalog file, and assuming you have run the "Optimize Catalog" command, the only thing you can really delete is the Develop History (which you can do on a per image basis, or on a bunch of selected images). If you often use multiple spot removals or brush strokes, the develop history can get very long, which starts to take up a lot of space in the database....so clearing it out can significantly help reduce the size of the file.

7.3G seems pretty large for just the .cat file (at least to me). For 120,000 images, most of them raw with edits, mine is 2.4G.
Personally, I would be wary about throwing away development history for a lot of files.

Be sure you are not looking at an upper level folder that also includes your backups.

How many photos in your catalog? Is it shared?
Would it make more sense to divide the catalog up into two parts; eg, before some date/after some date; personal/professional; his/hers; camera 1/camera 2; etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back