• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR catalog not copying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afterimage

Afterimage
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Latest
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have a new 2019 iMac & have my photos, Lightroom catalog & backs on an external drive. I cloned the external drive to a raid connected to my iMac. The Lightroom master catalog did not transfer nor was the catalog in any of the backups. Only a white icon appeared.
Why is the catalog not transferring?

What did you use to make the clone? And did you try opening it? The icon alone does not say that the transfer was not successful.

I tried copying again with no result. The catalog shows up on the flash drive but when I copy it to the iMac it does not. see attachments.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 6.49.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 6.49.35 PM.png
    919.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Screen shote of imac folder.pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 391
When I plug in my previous external hard drive to the iMac the LR catalog is missing . It shows up on the MacBook Pro. Very strange.

I tried copying again with no result. The catalog shows up on the flash drive but when I copy it to the iMac it does not. see attachments.
The catalog file is there (third icon) and so are the previews, but the previews have lost their ‘package’ bit. The previews.lrdata files are ‘packages’. Those are really folders, but have a special bit set that makes them look like a file rather than a folder. Lightroom can’t run with a catalog on a removable drive, that may be the reason why you see this. Try opening the catalog file in Lightroom. That will probably work just fine. Is Lightroom already installed on that computer? If not, that would also explain why you don’t see the proper icons.

It seems I have a permission issue which I have never had. See the attached screen shots. I have done all the steps to change the permissions to the folders but that did not work. I will have to call Apple or/Adobe tomorrow.

Attachments

• Screen shote of imac folder.pdf
    93.2 KB · Views: 412
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 8.07.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 8.07.05 AM.png
    639.8 KB · Views: 377
Where is the home folder? I have gone to the folder that the catalogs are in and changed that catalog if that is what you mean.

Lightroom didn’t say anything about the catalog, that is not the problem. The permissions problem is a problem of some folders, located in the Library folder of your Home folder. The error tells you which folders.

Your Home folder is where you go when you choose ‘Go - Home’ in the Finder. If you do not see a Library folder there, then it is hidden. How to Show to ~/Library Folder in MacOS Mojave, High Sierra, Sierra

I have my library & home folder on my side bar in finder. Here is what its in the home folder. I keep my photos on an external raid and not on my compute.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 3.40.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 3.40.52 PM.png
    650.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 3.41.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 3.41.06 PM.png
    752.9 KB · Views: 312
So your Library folder is hidden, like I said. Unhide it by following the instructions in the link I gave you. Then look for the folders that Lightroom tells you that need to be fixed. The location of your images is irrelevant. Strangely enough you do not seem to have a Documents folder, so this could also be part of the problem, because Lightroom tells you to fix the Adobe folder inside that Documents folder. Check this: How to Recover Lost/Missing/Disappeared Documents Folder on macOS Mojave?

Thanks for your patience. I already have the Library on my finder and did the permission changes as the instructions said to do.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 4.00.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-21 at 4.00.38 PM.png
    933.8 KB · Views: 360
Same error messages. LR does not have certain folder permissions.
I have moved Lr to 3 new computers with no issues. The external drive I used on the MacBook Pro when connected to the iMac will not open Lightroom.

Same error messages. LR does not have certain folder permissions.
I have moved Lr to 3 new computers with no issues. The external drive I used on the MacBook Pro when connected to the iMac will not open Lightroom.
I’m sorry, but I don’t understand the last sentence. An external drive should open Lightroom?...

In some early message you talked about a flash drive. Are you perhaps trying to run Lightroom with a catalog on a USB flash drive? That is not possible. Lightroom does not run with a catalog on a removable drive. The catalog has to be on a normal drive (internal or external), not on a removable drive and also not on a network drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back