• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR Book problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
v 11.0.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I'm trying to start a new Book on my Mac. I have a file with 255 photos in it, which is in the Library film strip and is a collection file. All that looks good.
But as soon as I select the Book Module the film strip increases to 606, made up by photos from a previous book 12 months ago. And they are intermingled.
Spent hours trying to get rid of them. Please can anyone help me. Graham.

If you click the Clear Book button and then reselect the folder or collection, you should be down to just the 255 photos.

Thanks Victoria! The easiest and a concise answer to this question.
"click the Clear Book button and then reselect the folder or collection"
In the past I struggled with methods and explanations for this annoyance with the Book module.

Thanks for the above. I'm having the same problem, after spending many hours setting up two collections to make books for each of my daughters. The problem just cropped up tonight, after I had successfully created one book. (And in fact I've made several other books without running into this). When creating the second of my two books, the book goes from about 400 to about 700 photos, not only in the book, but the extra photos (from the prior book I made) are added to the collection. I've tried "click the Clear Book button and then reselect the folder or collection," but that doesn't seem to prevent the problem. Maybe I didn't do this correctly. I select the collection, click book module at top right, see that there are 700 images instead of the correct 400 images, reselect library module, and reselect the collection, then click book module again. Still, there are 700 images. After clearing the book, I also tried right clicking the collection and selecting make book (or similar), but the problem persists. Any other ideas? Thanks so much.

Maybe I didn't do this correctly. I select the collection, click book module at top right, see that there are 700 images instead of the correct 400 images, reselect library module, and reselect the collection, then click book module again. Still, there are 700 images.
You seem to have missed the Clear Book button at the top of the screen?

The issue arises because Lightroom has a temporary state called "unsaved book" that allows you to select photos from multiple different collections. When it's in this state, you can see the text above the filmstrip says "collection name + unsaved book".

I really appreciate your response. My bad, I failed to say that I did click "clear book." And I do now see at lower left it says the folder name + unsaved book. That explains the issue. However, when I click clear book, both of these sources remain included. Maybe there is a glitch such that Lightroom is "stuck" with an old unsaved book. For now, I think I will use Bookwright and come back to the Book Module later. Funny, I'm made a bunch of test books without this issue. But again, you are very kind to respond!!! -Randal

Sorry to write again, but I found the solution. This is on the Adobe Support Website:

"Hello, I know this is not the answer you want to hear but this is a workaround. As suggested click the button 'clear book'. Then click 'auto layout'. New images but unfortunately and old images will be added in the new book. Now click again clear book and again auto layout. Hopefully your problem will be solved."

"This works for me. I had over a thousand pictures in my last book collection, and I could not make them go away when starting a new book. Doing "Auto Layout" and "Clear Book" was the key, although I needed to do it twice. Unbelieveable that this bug is two years old."

And this worked for me, too. I had to clear book, then auto layout, then clear book again. At that point the unsaved book photos went away. Thanks again for providing this forum. I'm learning a lot from your FAQ book too.

That's an odd one, thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back