• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR becomes slow, crashes and then can't be reopened unless I reboot my computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

XavierB

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I'm having severe issues with LR CC 2015.6 on my brand new MacBook Pro Retina 15", 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Graphics:

I'm going through old photos in an old external drive formatted for Windows and every time I get to the same biggish folder (around 300 photos) the previews start appearing very slowly for a couple of seconds and then they simple stop appearing and LR's functionality comes basically to a halt. After that, I either leave it and LR it quits on its own, asking me to generate a report, or I go ahead and force quit the program. After this happens, there's absolutely no way of reopening LR: its icon simply bounces over the dock for a couple of minutes, then it stops, but the program is never opened. In order to get back into LR, I have to reboot my brand new MacBook Pro... The worst thing is that when I click on reboot or shutdown, nothing happens! It everything just sits there. If I try to open anything, it now says "X app interrubted reboot/shutdown" and it closes said app and continues "trying" to reboot or shutdown. But nothing happens: it can just sit like that for minutes until I manually reboot the brand new computer, which otherwise has absolutely no other issues (and I use the entire Adobe CC, including Ppro, AE, etc.)

I can't find anyone else that's apparently had this issue online, but I've tried following the instructions given to issues of "app doesn't open in OS X", "app bouncing on dock but not opening", etc., including trying to find the issue in Library/Containers, Activity Monitor, using the "update_unbinding" command in the Terminal (which, incidentally, my computer says is a command that doesn't exist)... in summary: nothing fixes this issue once LR quits: I can't open it again until I manually reboot the machine; and I can't seem to find a way to fix the issue so that it stops happening altogether. I'm a photographer an rely a lot on LR and I bought this super expensive machine to carry my workload, so obviously I don't want to have to reboot my computer eventually every time I use LR.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I'm having severe issues with LR CC 2015.6 on my brand new MacBook Pro Retina 15", 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 Processor, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB Graphics:

I'm going through old photos in an old external drive formatted for Windows and every time I get to the same biggish folder (around 300 photos) the previews start appearing very slowly for a couple of seconds and then they simple stop appearing and LR's functionality comes basically to a halt. After that, I either leave it and LR it quits on its own, asking me to generate a report, or I go ahead and force quit the program. After this happens, there's absolutely no way of reopening LR: its icon simply bounces over the dock for a couple of minutes, then it stops, but the program is never opened. In order to get back into LR, I have to reboot my brand new MacBook Pro... The worst thing is that when I click on reboot or shutdown, nothing happens! It everything just sits there. If I try to open anything, it now says "X app interrubted reboot/shutdown" and it closes said app and continues "trying" to reboot or shutdown. But nothing happens: it can just sit like that for minutes until I manually reboot the brand new computer, which otherwise has absolutely no other issues (and I use the entire Adobe CC, including Ppro, AE, etc.)

I can't find anyone else that's apparently had this issue online, but I've tried following the instructions given to issues of "app doesn't open in OS X", "app bouncing on dock but not opening", etc., including trying to find the issue in Library/Containers, Activity Monitor, using the "update_unbinding" command in the Terminal (which, incidentally, my computer says is a command that doesn't exist)... in summary: nothing fixes this issue once LR quits: I can't open it again until I manually reboot the machine; and I can't seem to find a way to fix the issue so that it stops happening altogether. I'm a photographer an rely a lot on LR and I bought this super expensive machine to carry my workload, so obviously I don't want to have to reboot my computer eventually every time I use LR.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the lock file? I assume that a piece of LR is still running somewhere, holding things up. Getting LR to start and close cleanly might solve the Macintosh problem too?

read this post:
Odd problem with LR5.3, on a Windows 8 computer...
see if it helps, I assume the Mac is similar to windows regarding lock files.

Last edited by a moderator:
You say the disk is 'formatted for Windows'. How? Macs can read & write to exFAT disks, but can only read NTFS. Although Lightroom does not have to write to the disk when you only view photos, NTFS could perhaps be an issue, for example if you have set the option in the preferences to write changes to XMP.

You say the disk is 'formatted for Windows'. How? Macs can read & write to exFAT disks, but can only read NTFS. Although Lightroom does not have to write to the disk when you only view photos, NTFS could perhaps be an issue, for example if you have set the option in the preferences to write changes to XMP.

Hi, Johan, yes, you're right, Macs can't write to NTFS, only read. But the way I've set up my LR, the photos from the NTFS disk are only being read; any changes are being written to the main Mac disk. However, the issue doesn't even occur when editing the photos, just when I'm trying to view the previews of what is in the disk (incidentally, this is something I can even do without connecting the disk, because the previews are in my main drive). Finally, even if it's an issue with the format of the disk, I fail to see how that can crash the program and effectively crash my entire OS, so that I have to force a reboot.

The previews are indeed on your internal disk, but if they need an update then Lightroom will read from that disk. The fact that you get this problem with ond particular folder does point into that direction. Or do you get the same problem when the disk is offline?

Another possibility is a corrupt preview cache, so try this: Move the previews.lrdata file out of your
Lightroom catalog folder. Make sure the photo disk is connected (Lightroom needs the photos to rebuild the previews) and try to browse that folder. Initially your photos won't show, but if all goes correctly, the previews will be rebuilt and will show after a short while.

LRCC2015.6 is not compatible with MacOS. You need to update to LRCC2015.7 to work properly with Sierra.

All of the other answers have merit too, but you will need to deal with each issue. If your new rMBP is running MacOS, then you need to state with my recommendation first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back