• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 21 February 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.2, Mobile & Desktop (February 2024)? for all the update news. It's mainly new cameras, new lenses and loads of bug fixes in this release.

Lr and Canon print studio pro plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon S

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lr Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi folks,

I’m new to Lr and have a canon pixma 100 printer and the canon print studio plugin. Even after calibrating my screen, prints are not coming out as the screen image is. Does anyone have experience of using these two together?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

Welcome to the forum. I would not advise using the Canon Printing software or plugin. I print everything from the print module in LR.

With your calibrated monitor you are seeing the image with transmitted light.(from behind) Images produced by the printer use reflected light The calibrated monitor profile produces the truest transmitted color images for your monitor. The printer need a color profile to match both the printer and the paper being used to produce a reflected light image. Every printer and every print paper has unique characteristics that require a different color profile to match your printer and paper combination. More than likely, you r paper manufacturer will supply icc profiles for your printer/paper combination.

In the LR print module near the bottom right is the "Print Job" section. Under color management, you can select the icc profile to match your printer and paper .

You will never get a print that matches the color characteristics of the transmitted light from the screen .
You can come close. but you need to use soft proofing in the develop module where you mimic the paper appearance by adjusting the develop setting for the print color profile that you will be using when you print.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. ZI would not advice using the Canon Printing software or plugin. I print everything from the print module in LR.

With your calibrated monitor you are seeing the image with transmitted light.(from behind) Images produced by the printer use reflected light The calibrated monitor profile produces the truest transmitted color images for your monitor. The printer need a color profile to match both the printer and the paper being used to produce a reflected light image. Every printer and every print paper has unique characteristics that require a different color profile to match your printer and paper combination. More than likely, you r paper manufacturer will supply icc profiles for your printer/paper combination.

In the LR print module near the bottom right is the "Print Job" section. Under color management, you can select the icc profile to match your printer and paper .

You will never get a print that matches the color characteristics of the transmitted light from the screen .
You can come close. but you need to use soft proofing in the develop module where you mimic the paper appearance by adjusting the develop setting for the print color profile that you will be using when you print.

Hi there and thank you for your reply. I’ve taken your advice and used the print module in Lr and not opened the plugin. I’ve tried a print this morning and it’s pretty good. Perhaps I had something set wrongly although I’ve been over the settings again and again and they seemed to be right. I have some canon semi gloss (sg 201 according to the box). The leaflet with the box says set to ‘photo paper plus semi gloss’ . The print module colour management section offers canon ‘1/2 photo paper plus semi gloss’ or ‘3 photo paper semi gloss’ . Do you have any idea what the difference is? And would you recommend any particular semi gloss paper in particular?

Whilst soft proofing, I have had to leave the Simulate paper and ink, box unticked, when I tick it the image appears very insipid, like someone has turned the contrast right down.

Regards
Jon

when I tick it the image appears very insipid, like someone has turned the contrast right down.
Transmitted light is more brilliant than reflected light from paper. That insipid appearance is a close approximation of what actually happened to inks on paper. Glossy paper floats the ink on the surface allowing for very little to soak in and longer to dry. a Matte finish paper soaks in the colors (some more, some less). Semi Gloss is supposed to be something in between. Soft proofing allows for the differences in paper porosity and the particle size for various ink colors to soak in so that more ink color or less is supplied to the printer to achieve the best results.

You should download the Canon's profiles for your Canon paper for your Pixma Pro 100 here ICC Profiles - PIXMA Professional Photo Printers - Canon Europe.

I prefer RedRiver Papers. Premium Photo Paper Inkjet Papers by Red River Paper. They also supply icc profiles for the papers that they produce to match Canon or Epson Printers.

"You should download the Canon's profiles for your Canon paper for your Pixma Pro 100 here ICC Profiles - PIXMA Professional Photo Printers - Canon Europe."

This link is for downloading third party paper vendor profiles. The profiles for Canon papers are installed as part of the printer driver.

The 1/2 and 3 designate profiles for the particular print quality you are selecting in the printer driver.

2019-02-01 (1).png2019-02-01.png

Last edited:
The surface and base color of the Canon Photo Paper Plus SemiGloss is such that you shouldn't see much difference when softproofing. See the two screenshots.

Are you macOS or Windows? When you select a paper profile are you turning off color management in the printer driver?

2019-02-01 (4).png2019-02-01 (5).png

Transmitted light is more brilliant than reflected light from paper. That insipid appearance is a close approximation of what actually happened to inks on paper. Glossy paper floats the ink on the surface allowing for very little to soak in and longer to dry. a Matte finish paper soaks in the colors (some more, some less). Semi Gloss is supposed to be something in between. Soft proofing allows for the differences in paper porosity and the particle size for various ink colors to soak in so that more ink color or less is supplied to the printer to achieve the best results.

You should download the Canon's profiles for your Canon paper for your Pixma Pro 100 here ICC Profiles - PIXMA Professional Photo Printers - Canon Europe.

I prefer RedRiver Papers. Premium Photo Paper Inkjet Papers by Red River Paper. They also supply icc profiles for the papers that they produce to match Canon or Epson Printers.

Hello again. Thanks for the paper information. With regard to the simulate paper and ink tick box
The surface and base color of the Canon Photo Paper Plus SemiGloss is such that you shouldn't see much difference when softproofing. See the two screenshots.

Are you macOS or Windows? When you select a paper profile are you turning off color management in the printer driver?

View attachment 12173View attachment 12174

Hi, thanks for your reply, I’m on MAC OS. Yes I believe I have turned it off. Just to clarify on the paper - the package itself just says sg 201 and nothing more, so if I am print8ng at high quality I should select semi gloss 3 and not 1/2 ? Is that what you mean, sorry if it’s a fdaft question.

Hi, sorry I’ve been away from my emails. I really appreciate your help and I may check out red river papers.

Many thanks
Jon

Hello again. Thanks for the paper information. With regard to the simulate paper and ink tick box

Hi, thanks for your reply, I’m on MAC OS. Yes I believe I have turned it off. Just to clarify on the paper - the package itself just says sg 201 and nothing more, so if I am print8ng at high quality I should select semi gloss 3 and not 1/2 ? Is that what you mean, sorry if it’s a fdaft question.
macOS should automatically turn off color management, you should be set there. If you are printing at high quality select 1/2. If you go to System Preferences->Printers & Scanners do you have the IJ Series printer showing or AirPrint. You want IJ Series.

macOS should automatically turn off color management, you should be set there. If you are printing at high quality select 1/2. If you go to System Preferences->Printers & Scanners do you have the IJ Series printer showing or AirPrint. You want IJ Series.

Hi, yes I remember seeing something about IJ during the setup, although I can’t find anything about it or AirPrint in system preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back