LR/ACR processing of RAW file from unsupported camera model (new to market)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VR in Oz

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
A Pentax K3-III is about to arrive in my hands soon and I expect there'll be a (hopefully) short time when LR/ACR won't know about this model.
How will RAW conversion be affected?
Pentax offers the choice to use DNG or PEF - will it make any difference to use DNG?

If you shoot in DNG, then Lightroom will be able to import and edit these raw files right from the start. If you shoot in PEF, you will have to wait for an update before Lightroom can even import them.

Thanks for your speedy help!
It's great to know that I'll be able to process RAW straight away, by shooting in DNG format.
If you have a moment to explain, I'm really curious to know just what is the difference between DNG and a camera manufacturer's proprietary format (in this case, PEF).

If you shoot in DNG, then Lightroom will be able to import and edit these raw files right from the start
The only caveat to be aware of is if Pentax creates additional information in relation to the DNG. For example, there was a drone camera, created by Hassleblad, that produced DNG that had problems being imported into LrC until it was formally supported. They had a secondary set of information. I'm not saying you will have a similar problem but just be aware.

Thanks for your speedy help!
It's great to know that I'll be able to process RAW straight away, by shooting in DNG format.
If you have a moment to explain, I'm really curious to know just what is the difference between DNG and a camera manufacturer's proprietary format (in this case, PEF).
The difference lies in the word Proprietary. I used to shoot with a Pentax. I always shot with the camera set to shoot DNG. DNG is a public universal format. The information fields in the DNG file header block are described and documented by Adobe (the developer of the file format) and made public for anyone to use. The data block for a RAW file contains values recorded at the Photosites on the sensor. RAW photo sited are not converted to RGB pixels. The PEF file format is like the DNG RAW file format in that it has a Header block and a RAW data block. So either file format contains the same photo site values in the data block. The difference between the two file formats is the information fields in the header block are not described and documented by Pentax and can only be read and interpreted by PENTAX image processing software. Eventually Adobe and other image processing software developers will reverse engineer the proprietary PEF file format and be able to process the PEF RAW file data.

Paul: thanks and noted
Cletus: thanks for such a clear and concise explanation of Proprietary vs DNG (saved me from a lot of Googling time:cool2:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back