• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Library module LR 9 - Lost Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbum

Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Updated to LR9 last week and have only just realised that a large number of my keywords have disappeared and a few have appeared without my input. This followed my LR request to update my lrcat2 to lrcat2-2.

How can I retrieve these missing keywords or do I have to manually re-instate the missing ones and then go through all my images to assign keywords? I have imported a hundred or so new images since the lrcat change, but I suspect reassigning keywords and editing to these is better than having to go through thousands of pre LR9 images.

Is it possible to go back to my previous lrcat2 and if I can am I right to assume all images imported since LR9 upgrade will be lost?

Also is this a general problem, or have I done something myself (I wouldn’t be surprised)
I’m running LR Classic 9 on a MacBook Pro, still using Mojave, not the newer Catalina 64 bit OS.

If You are sure there are (used) Keywords missing than i would go back to the previous version of Lightroom and start using the not-updated catalog again.
However, this is not a known problem so it is very interesting for further investigation. You could post some screenshots of those Keywords for instance.

A few things to check before panic sets in.
Make sure you are in the right master catalog . It shows about the right number of total images, the “Previous Import” special collection list the last images that you imported
In the Keyword List panel, in the search field, you search on a known keyword and it is not found.

Lightroom upgrades do not alter the old version of the catalog. It simply copies the data from the old master catalog to the new copy in the new database structure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to suggest assuring that the Keyword List filter (under the Keyword List panel header line) is indeed null (not just a space)

I’ve tried to go back to before LR9 but cannot find out how to.
I’ve gone back to the previous lrcat2 but it would let me use it until I ”converted/upgraded” to lrcat 2-2 with the same missing keywords.

I‘m now resigned to regenerate the missing keywords and have started to go through my crucial image groups.

When I started re-assigning keywords I noted that not only have some disappeared entirely but that some keywords which did have hundreds of images attached have reduced the number to 10’s or lower.

i wish I knew what has gone wrong.

Going back to the previous version is quite simple. Open the Creative Cloud desktop app and find the entry for Lightroom Classic in the All Apps list. Click on the three dots next to the "Open" button and select Uninstall. That removes the current version 9.0, and once done the "Open" button should change to "Install". Don't click on that, instead click on the three dots again and select "Other Versions", and in the resulting list you will see the option to install version 8.4.1. Click on "Install" and wait for it to complete. Then navigate to the previous .lrcat file and double-click on it to launch Lightroom using that older catalog.

I’ve tried to go back to before LR9 but cannot find out how to.
I’ve gone back to the previous lrcat2 but it would let me use it until I ”converted/upgraded” to lrcat 2-2 with the same missing keywords.

I‘m now resigned to regenerate the missing keywords and have started to go through my crucial image groups.

When I started re-assigning keywords I noted that not only have some disappeared entirely but that some keywords which did have hundreds of images attached have reduced the number to 10’s or lower.

i wish I knew what has gone wrong.
I had the same problem and couldn't find any help on the Internet either. Finally I opened the old lrcat2-2 file, selected all photos, then forced LR to write the metadata to disk. I went back to the new lrcat file, and imported the new xmp metadata back and the keywords were recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back