• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR 9.0 upgrade discards all video metadata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earlecj

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 9.0
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I recently upgraded the catalog, as required by Adobe to even look at their contents, and it appears that all metadata (captions, titles, geolocation info, etc.) for my video files was discarded in the process. Is there any way to get it back?

Assuming your previous version was LR 7 or 8, you could use the Creative Cloud desktop app to install LR 8.4.1, and then open the old catalog in it. Use the LR/Transporter plugin to export the video files' metadata to a text file. Then start LR 9 with the upgraded catalog and use LR/Transporter to import that metadata from the text file.

I recently upgraded the catalog, as required by Adobe to even look at their contents, and it appears that all metadata (captions, titles, geolocation info, etc.) for my video files was discarded in the process.
That should not have happened, and I have upgraded plenty of catalogues with no loss of video files' metadata. Are you sure you opened the right catalogue?

J - LR/Transporter seems to have worked. Forgot that plugin even existed, haven't used it in years. When I rolled back to 8.4.1 and opened my backup catalog, everything was in there. Did the LR/Transporter export; currently reinstalling LR9 and will import the metadata.

Ask yourself why the problem happened. My guess is the update upgraded the wrong or rather an unexpected catalogue (I can think of a few ways people get this), so you may have lost other work that you haven't yet noticed.

So I'd suggest copying the correct catalogue, reinstalling LR9 and then using its File > Open Catalog command to open that catalogue.

This notion of having multiple similar catalogs is one I haven't seen before. I have all my own photos in one catalog, which makes it easier to find photos by keyword etc., and also means I can't confuse catalogs. This latest episode is the first time I've had to open a backup catalog and I've been using LR since V.1.0. But it's not the first time I've been troubled by LR's poor support for video formats, such as their recent decision to discontinue support for AVI files (which my Olympus cameras use for lower-resolution video formats), and now I'm finding it can't import my recent MP4 files, either (might have something to do with the fact that they were created using iMovie, though iMovie files were easily imported by LR V8.4). LR/AnyFile and LR/Transporter can address these issues but not conveniently.

As I say, I have never seen any reports of an LR upgrade losing metadata applied to video or other files. So something else has happened, which can include user errors such as accidentally clearing that metadata. Using one catalogue does indeed reduce confusion, and if LR's preferences are set to open the most-recent catalogue or a specific one, the 9.0 update should open and upgrade that catalogue. If not, it might have upgraded a different copy.

At this point, the LR/Transporter plugin served to transfer the missing data from the old catalog to the new one, for some files I recreated the metadata, and I haven't found an issue with any of the older-than-mid-2019 files. It sounds as if this was an isolated instance, maybe caused by a glitch in the install or a conflict on my system, so I won't worry about it unless it recurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back