• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR 8 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Pring

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
LR 8
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have LR 5.7, and have previously tried to upgrade to 6 without success. Now we have LR 8.
If I click help/check for upgrades, I am told that I am up to date and no upgrades available!?
Can I upgrade to 8 and how?

I have LR 5.7, and have previously tried to upgrade to 6 without success. Now we have LR 8.
If I click help/check for upgrades, I am told that I am up to date and no upgrades available!?
Can I upgrade to 8 and how?
Clicking on Help shows only whether or not there are (free) updates, not paid upgrades. You simply have to go to the Adobe site and purchase a plan.

You can still get LR6 if you want to. FYI. The last update was December 2017 - version 14. There will be no more updates. Any cameras released in 2018 and on will not be supported and you will have to convert to DNG. I'll be surprised if it still for sale in 2019.

Download and install Lightroom 6 (Single App license)

Not sure how you feel about the subscription plan but you get all the latest. For $9.99 a month you get LR8, PS CC 2019, LR CC an free website and a bunch of other stuff. You also get all the updates including new versions. When LR9 comes out you will get it as it is part of the plan .

LR 8 is part of the Adobe Photographer's Plan. You can't get LR 8 as a stand alone product.

I'm very happy with LR Classic using the Photographer's Plan. I get regular updates and enhancements and the initial out of pocket is much lower than stand alone programs. It's not for everyone, but it's definitely the direction Adobe has chosen.

+1 what Eric said. When Subscriptions first became required, it was arguably a good idea to get LR6 and perpetual as it was still rather new. It's getting pretty old now, and I think reaching the point where I would recommend one either do the subscription, or do not do lightroom.

While I provided info in LR6 I wouldn't get it at this stage of the game. If the plan doesn't work there are multiple options out there.

Sorry about jumping in to this conversation and If you want to direct me somewhere else, that's fine. I have LR classic desktop version 6.9 and was thinking about upgrading to latest version (8?) Can't seem to do it directly from within LR which, when I go to the help menu, says I am current with what I have. Not sure how to get up the latest version. Thanks and sorry again.

I'd recommend the subscription and version 8, but note 6.9 has an upgrade to 6.14 that is free, a few bug fixes and quite a few camera updates.

Hello- Thank you- I did try the small upgrade to 6.14 but got an error message- "U44M1P7". Will try to look that one up . Thanks-

+1 what Eric said. When Subscriptions first became required, it was arguably a good idea to get LR6 and perpetual as it was still rather new. It's getting pretty old now, and I think reaching the point where I would recommend one either do the subscription, or do not do lightroom.
I feel like I have invested time ,energy and money in LR not to mention buying these great LRQ books along with this website. My fear is that id lose everything if I let the subscription laps for one reason or another . As i've never looked in to it seriously because of the ongoing cost, I dobnt know how it works compared to the standalone version I've become used to . Guess i could look in to the pricing but as I have 30,000 plus photos , how much is this going to cost me on a monthly basis. ( not asking you for an answer to that, but it is a big leap for me.

If you let the subscription lapse, Lightroom will continue to run, all your images will still be in the catalogue and accessible, you'll still be able to import, export, and print. You'll be able to use the Quick Develop in the Library module. The only things that will cease to work would be the Develop and Map modules. That seems to me to be really well done on Adobe's part.

Also if you use Portfolio you will lose your website.

Guess i could look in to the pricing but as I have 30,000 plus photos , how much is this going to cost me on a monthly basis. ( not asking you for an answer to that, but it is a big leap for me.

$10/mo for both Lightroom Classic Creative Cloud (CC) and Photoshop. Despite the "creative cloud" name neither requires that any of your photos be in the cloud, but they are subscription based. Since cloud storage is not required, there is no incremental cost for having more photographs.

Lightroom CC (as opposed to Lightroom Classic CC) is a different product intended for use with the cloud only, and is a change of paradigm. Lightroom "Classic" is the same old Lightroom you have used in the past, with lots of enhancements since 6.x.

Adobe tries hard to steer you to Lightroom CC (non-classic), so if you like the way Lightroom itself works, be sure to get the right variant of the subscription that includes Classic, Photoshop, and minimal cloud storage for $10/mo.

Just to add if you sync your photos to the cloud (your choice to do this) using LR Classic CC it only sends up Smart Previews, not your actual files. So technically you aren't using any cloud storage, your files are on earth :) and you can access them with mobile devices.

LR CC pushes all your actual files to the cloud and you can keep a copies of them locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back