• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The August 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic includes advanced GPU support, batch HDR/pano merge and more. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has deleted photos on the desktop/mobile apps, as well as video support and batch metadata editing on Android. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR 8.4 Catalog corrupted?

RichardMiles

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave
Can anyone suggest a fix?

I opened LR yesterday and discovered that while my folders are organized by year and date, files are now seemingly all over the place. What got my attention was the 2019 / 08 folder was gone, missing! It was there the night before... now gone. But if I search in the Catalog > Metadata > there all 564 photos from August of 2019.

In the 2019 folder, there is a folder for August, 08. LR shows no photos in that catalog. But if I right-click on the 08 folder and select "show in finder" there are hundreds of photos from August of 2017 there. So off to explore more folders in LR. In folders, 2019 / 01 there are the expected photos from January 2019 so it appears the LR catalog is correct. But f I right-click on that folder, "show in finder" has hundreds of pictures from January 2016, January 2017 and January 2018, as well as photos from January 2019.

Running on 2013 MacBook Pro / MacOS 10.14.6. Catalog is on Mac internal HDD, folders are on external drives.

When I try and import photos into LR, the import dialog adds another 2019 folder and then adds the photos to that folder. So, if I try and import a photo from today (09/03/19) and select the 2019 folder as the destination, LR creates another folder called "2019" inside 2019 and then puts the 09 folder inside that. So my hierarchy looks like PHOTO4T > 2019 > 2019 > 09. If I try and move the 09 files into the main 2019 folder, LR says that folder already exists.

It looks like this:

Photo4T
> 01
> 02
>03
>04
>05
>06
>07
>08
> 2019
>>09

I tried "optimize catalog" but nothing changed. I backup the catalog every week but imagine that my backups are likely corrupted as well.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
This is nothing that LR could do without some help. I suspect they got that way either with a sloppy choice of import destination or Accidentally using Drag'n Drop on folders in the folder panel.

First, I'd like to determine if any images are missing. In the Library module Click on the "Library" menu and then on the submenu "Find All Missing Photos". This will generate a special collection in the Catalog panel. Does it show missing images? Are there a lot? Are some of these missing images in the 2019 folder, where there is a folder for August, 08. LR shows no photos in that catalog? If this case proves true, then it means that some one was moving images and folders around outside of LR .
If there are few truly missing images, then we are dealing with some accidental Drag'n Drop problem.

RichardMiles

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Thank you. No images are missing. So yes, probably a drag n drop problem ... but the question is how to fix it?

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
In the 2019 folder, there is a folder for August, 08. LR shows no photos in that catalog. But if I right-click on the 08 folder and select "show in finder" there are hundreds of photos from August of 2017 there.
So, In Finder there are hundreds of photos from August of 2017 in the 2018/08. folder If I understand correctly, in Finder there is no subfolder in the 2018/08 folder, just image files from "August of 2017", In the LR Folder panel what folders are listed under 2017? Is there an 2017/08 folder? Does it contain cataloged images that are not seen in 2018/08 folder? If you select a file name from the image files from "August of 2017" in Finder, can you use the search filter in LR to search for that same file name? If you find it, what folder path has LR stored for the file. IOW, since none of the images are missing is the image file in 2018/08 folder a duplicate of an image file that is in the LR catalog and not missing? What I'm trying to determine is whether there are files in your cataloged LR folders (based upon the Finder observation) that are not cataloged.

In the mean time I would like to look at your LR Catalog (Just the file with the .lrcat extension). Zip it up and use WeTransfer to send it to me at (customer.clee (at) att.net)