Lr 6.14 Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill.1346

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
Hi. Lr 6.14 has started to crash immediately after the splash screen appears. I have tried rebooting, and starting from the Lr.cat file with the same effect.
I am using a MacBookPro running Catalina. any suggestions?

As you are aware, Lightroom 6.14 was never designed to run on Catalina or more recent versions of MacOS. More information is needed t address your issue. We need your basic system information to see if your MBP is spaced to rum and Open a Lightroom Catalog.
How much RAM? How many CPU Cores? The size of your Primary disk and how much of that space is freespace for Working storage and Temporary files? LR6 is so old that I forget if it uses the GPU for performance acceleration. If it does that could be a factor too.

any suggestions?
Consider an upgrade to Version 11.3 with a subscription to the Photography Plan.
Do you know that you cannot re-install v6.14 in the Catalina OS! So if it crashes you are at an end for 6.14.

As you are aware, Lightroom 6.14 was never designed to run on Catalina or more recent versions of MacOS. More information is needed t address your issue. We need your basic system information to see if your MBP is spaced to rum and Open a Lightroom Catalog.
How much RAM? How many CPU Cores? The size of your Primary disk and how much of that space is freespace for Working storage and Temporary files? LR6 is so old that I forget if it uses the GPU for performance acceleration. If it does that could be a factor too.
Hi, I wasn't aware that it wasn't designed to work with Catalina. However, it has been running on Catalina since a few months after the Catalina upgrade came out, without any problems. RAM 16G, Cores 4, 500G SSD (photos are stored on separate external drive) Free space around 50G. Intel HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA HD GeForce GT 650M. Hope this helps.

Hi, I wasn't aware that it wasn't designed to work with Catalina. However, it has been running on Catalina since a few months after the Catalina upgrade came out, without any problems. RAM 16G, Cores 4, 500G SSD (photos are stored on separate external drive) Free space around 50G. Intel HD Graphics 4000, NVIDIA HD GeForce GT 650M. Hope this helps.

Based upon the available freespace of 50G I would say that’s Lightroom is running out of working storage. The recommended space reserved for Working storage is the greater of 15% of your primary disk or 100GB. Free space is also used for the Swapfile. And depending upon how many apps are competing for CPU and RAM that 50 GB might disappear very quickly When Lightroom asks for resources and there is nothing the system can provide the app can crash.

It is not that Lightroom is not designed to work with Catalina but that it has never been tested and certified to run with Catalina . Smoothly with Catalina. Support for and updates to Lightroom v6 ended with v6.14. Lightroom will continue to run if you upgrade an older OS to Catalina It will even run on the latest MacOS but you can not use the 32 bit installer if you need to reinstall.

I think there is a good chance you can continue to use LR6.14 if you free up more space on MacIntosh HD. If you do that you can work a little longer and plan rather that be forced to upgrade Apps and MacOS.

Rob makes a good point that your obsolete app should be up graded (As should your obsolete MacOS)

SSD prices have come down since you purchased your MBP and 500GB is a limiting factor for Mac Performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back