Library module LR 5 - trouble moving photos with their folder structure to external drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruxrush

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
OSX 10.7.5. I'm moving some photos from a 2008 iMac to an external drive so I can access them with a 2020 MacBook and LR Classic, but it is not going smoothly. When I tried to move a folder (2018 Scans from Slides) with 7 subfolders, the subfolders moved but not the folder. I tried to move the folder by itself but was told "Folder already exists"--but if it existed, it wasn't showing itself. So I made another one and tried to move the subfolders into it. Some of them moved OK but others wouldn't. I tried making another subfolder for Garden 2005 in the new folder and moving the photos by select all/dragging, and this time 26 of them moved but 17 wouldn't. I was told "Files already exist" but again, if they do, they're not showing themselves there. Can anyone please help me to straighten out this mess?

Screen Shot 2021-09-18 at 1.48.36 PM.png

Lightroom is not a browser. It only shows folders that contain at least one image (could be in a subfolder) that is catalogued. So if you get a ‘folder already exists’ error when you try to move a folder, then the explanation is that a folder with the same name already exists at that location, but that folder is not catalogued.

Thanks for your help. It gave me the stimulus I needed to go looking outside of LR, and sure enough, I found a couple of "rogue" folders, with only some of the images--no idea how I did that--and deleting them solved the problem. Now I have to start a new thread about the next problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back