• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR 5.7x can no longer import images

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
So on one computer running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, I have an older version of LR installed (5.7x) that I use sometimes to quickly go through images before editing. I have never had an issue with this until today. I can move around the program without any problems. I can move around in the library, I can view / edit / develop, I can export, basically everything works. Until I click the "Import" button in the library view. Then the "Has stopped working" message appears and I'm left with no other option by Windows but to close LR.

_nothing_ has changed on this machine. There's nothing special with the hardware (it's a simple Fujitsu Desktop machine, with on-board Intel graphics with 32GB of RAM and a Core i7, plenty of free space on SSD drive(s)). I really don't want to have to obtain another CC subscription just for this computer when I already have (had?) a working 5.7x installation that is perfectly good for what I use it for.

I've seen similar threads, and attempted their suggested solutions (removing temporary files, removing cache files, removing spurious .lck files, etc), but nothing seems to work.

You used the cursed phrase "nothing has changed" (when something had changed) and so the gods of IT have punished you by showing you the truth moments after you pressed the magic "Post Message" button.

Let this be a lesson mortal. If nothing has changed the system can't alter it's behaviour. Just because you don't know what has changed it doesn't mean that Axion, the god of data corruption, hasn't poked his evil wand into your system and corrupted a driver file.

Well, considering I've been doing coding and systems engineering since 1984, I should have know it'd bite me. BUT, I often have the phone connected to that machine, and haven't noticed this before. So, thus I did not "register the change". Hopefully my dumbassness will help someone else, if that is so, then it's on me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back