• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR 5.7 to Classic Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

acuts1

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
5.x
Lightroom Version Number
5.7 and Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  2. iOS
Just purchased the photography plan (was running 5.7) for LR Classic. Immediately after purchase an installer automatically started installing LR CC. I went to Adobe Creative cloud Local app and the only option to install classic was labeled upgrade which i did. When i open classic it wants me to upgrade my catalog from 5.7. I had no plans of upgrading old catalogs since i still have 5.7 . I was only planning to add new photos going forward; partly do to the limitation of cloud storage of 20 gigs. How do i get around this?
Thanks

For clarity - Creative Cloud has two Lightroom options Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC.
  • Lightroom Classic CC is the latest version of the package you were already using. It is the desktop/laptop based version of LR where original files are stored on your desktop/local drives/NAS.
  • Lightroom CC is newer cloud based version that is designed to work on mobile devices that have limited on-board storage. For this reason it stores original files in the cloud.
So, when you install Classic (which is LR7) onto a machine with LR5 it views it as an upgrade. Because it is a new version it needs to create an updated catalog (while leaving the old one intact just in case). This catalog contains all your old images BUT it does not change them. By default they continue to have the same settings and use the same process engine that is in LR5. Unless you decide to update them to the new process they will be, to all intents and purposes, your old images. Only new images that are added will use the new process engine (and the new features). Also Updating the catalog has nothing to do with the 20 gigs of cloud storage. Your original RAW/JPG files stay on your local hard drive just where they are.

The 20 gigs of cloud storage is used only if you opt to sync some of your desktop files to your mobile device. (This is where it gets more confusing). If you opt to use Lightroom Classic (locally) rather than Lightroom CC (cloud) you can still use Lightroom CC on your mobile phone/tablet to share/edit a selection of images. The originals stay on your HD and Smart Previews are synced to your mobile. See How to sync Lightroom Classic CC desktop with Lightroom CC

For clarity - Creative Cloud has two Lightroom options Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC.
  • Lightroom Classic CC is the latest version of the package you were already using. It is the desktop/laptop based version of LR where original files are stored on your desktop/local drives/NAS.
  • Lightroom CC is newer cloud based version that is designed to work on mobile devices that have limited on-board storage. For this reason it stores original files in the cloud.
So, when you install Classic (which is LR7) onto a machine with LR5 it views it as an upgrade. Because it is a new version it needs to create an updated catalog (while leaving the old one intact just in case). This catalog contains all your old images BUT it does not change them. By default they continue to have the same settings and use the same process engine that is in LR5. Unless you decide to update them to the new process they will be, to all intents and purposes, your old images. Only new images that are added will use the new process engine (and the new features). Also Updating the catalog has nothing to do with the 20 gigs of cloud storage. Your original RAW/JPG files stay on your local hard drive just where they are.

The 20 gigs of cloud storage is used only if you opt to sync some of your desktop files to your mobile device. (This is where it gets more confusing). If you opt to use Lightroom Classic (locally) rather than Lightroom CC (cloud) you can still use Lightroom CC on your mobile phone/tablet to share/edit a selection of images. The originals stay on your HD and Smart Previews are synced to your mobile. See How to sync Lightroom Classic CC desktop with Lightroom CC

Thank You Dan for the explanation; its much clearer now.
When i saw the term upgrade, I did not want classic CC upgrading\replacing my existing desktop version 5.7. Also my confusion about the cloud was a result of speaking with Adobe pre-sales which stated that there would be a copy of all my images on the cloud.

With LR Classic CC (LR7) you can choose to sync to the cloud but you don't have to. As Dan stated LR CC is all cloud file storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back