Lr 5.7 canceling import after hang, import button and File>Import are grayed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngpt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lately my Lr 5.7 has been hanging during imports from my card reader. It happens less often if I first unselect all and then select manually.

The hang occurs after clicking on Import. The import screen opens, but nothing happens. No indication of anything in the narrow status bar at upper left. I'll wait minutes and nothing gets imported.

If I click on the little x at the right end of the status bar, the operation halts.

I navigate back to a folder.

The Import button at low left in the Library module view is greyed out. If I eject my card/reader and then plug it in again to the usb port, the Import button stays greyed out.

File>Import Photos and Video is also greyed out.

Quitting Lr and restarting it fixes the problem.

I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for getting the Import button at low left in the Library module or File>Import Photos and Video to be enabled without quitting and restarting Lr. That's what prompted me to post this question. The problem of hanging I suspect is inherent within my mac's inner workings, and isn't a problem with Lr.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Where are you importing to? Internal or external drive?

Hi Victoria, I import to the mac's internal hard drive. I'm not too concerned about Lr messing things up, although it is happening more frequently. I suspect it has something to do with my mac's OS 10.7.5.

I'm interested in finding out if there is a way to get the Import button active without quitting and restarting Lr. The Import button of course is greyed out while an import is happening. Then afterward it becomes active again. But if I cancel the import, then the button stays grey and I can't import.

It sounds as though the issue is with the Import stalling. Are you using an internal or external card reader? Do you have another card reader you could try?

It sounds as though the issue is with the Import stalling. Are you using an internal or external card reader? Do you have another card reader you could try?

Excellent suggestion Jim. It's an external card reader that I've had for quite awhile. My aging mac has a built in SD card reader which I've never used. I'll have to see if the phenomenon occurs using that.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back