LR 4... only a bit of a rant....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothmoth

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
i know it´s not nice to introduce yourself with a rant but.. i keep it short. ;)

first im a lightroom user since v1.
im quite familiar with LR.... as long as it´s the library and develop modul. i don´t use the other modules. :)

i had great hopes for LR 4... i hoped for a great geotagging module, face recognition and other things.

but today i must say im a bit dissapointed.
im sure many will love the book modul.. but i can´t make no use of it here in my country.

no face recognition, the map modul does not work for me as expected.
i don´t get the reverse geoencoding to work... and i tried all day.
overall the geoencoding modul is very basic and lacks features even freeware programs have.

i still can´t export whole sets of smart collections.
im working a lot with smart collections but why can´t we export sets of smart collections?
with that i mean not exporting the images in a smartcollection... but the settings for the collection.
i have to do it one for one.... that takes an awfull lot of time.

the develop module and the new engine are the only things why i will upgrade.
they are really nice.... but i think it´s right that adobe has lowered the price for LR4.

Last edited:
Hi Gothmoth, welcome to the forum!

There have been a number of reports of reverse geocoding not working today - we're wondering if there's a problem with Google's servers.

I agree, the changes to the Develop module make it a worthy upgrade, even if the other features aren't well suited to you.

Hi Gothmoth, welcome to the forum!

There have been a number of reports of reverse geocoding not working today - we're wondering if there's a problem with Google's servers

ah... ok. then i will hope and wait. :)

I agree, the changes to the Develop module make it a worthy upgrade, even if the other features aren't well suited to you.

i know everyone has different things he want to see improved.
many have hoped for layers in LR.
personally i don´t care about layers in LR, i use photoshop for the heavy editing.

i own acdsee 3 (i will not upgrade it) and i had great hopes for the geotagging module in acdsee 5.
well it was also an disappointment.

i don´t know why companys like adobe and acdsee systems lack behind in features that some freeware programs offer.
i mean, the freeware tools im speaking of are coded by one or two persons.. nothing compared with the manpower at adobe.

so it should be possible to make a new module, like the map module... more usefull from the beginning.
i guess i have to stick to my freeware tools a lot longer then i thought.
but i really would like to have it all under "one hood".

so it should be possible to make a new module, like the map module... more usefull from the beginning.

It's one of those features that many users will never use, and of those who do, most would never use additional features, other than those that are included. I agree it doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a standalone tool does - it's just an issue of allocating resources to features that will get the most use in the target audience I think. Have you tried Jeffrey's Geocoding plug-in? http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/gps It adds some extra features that may be useful to you.

It's one of those features that many users will never use, and of those who do, most would never use additional features, other than those that are included..

i have to admit i might not know what most people want.. adobe sure has better sources. :)
but from what i read on the web .. GPS is one of the big features of the future.
many DSLR owners complain today that there is not build in GPS... even in expensive juggernauts like the 1D X it is missing.
so i think there is a huge interest in geotagging.

i started geotagging all my images 3 years ago and think it´s incredible usefull.
adobe could make it so usefull for filtering and searching images and i really miss that i can not include viewing direction in images with LR.

but ok that´s only one point and the improved develop modul make LR4 (imo) a worthy upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back