• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR 2015.2.1 - Performance Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamacting

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Windows 10, 16GB, i7 processor

Up until LR 2015.2.1, performance has never been a problem in the Develop module of Lightroom. But since the upgrade, it's become horrible to use.

When I grab a slider and start moving it, often (not always) it will be quite "sticky", not starting to show any updates on screen for a half second or so after moving it.

Sometimes when I release the slider, and move the mouse, the slider is still effectively "grabbed" and causes further changes to the picture - especially when cropping.

Things generally just feel sluggish and "lumpy" - not smooth as it used to be.

Has anyone else experienced this?

/alan

There are some things that you can do to ferret out the cause.
1. Turn off GPU Acceleration. It could be your video card or driver.
If that does not help
2. Look for a driver update
or
3. Roll back to LRCC2015.1.1 and wait for LRCC2015.3

You're not using a Wacom tablet are you?

Thank you for the suggestions. I've tried turning off GPU accel, didn't help. No Wacom tablet either. I might just roll back to a previous version

Have you downloaded and installed the latest Wacom driver from the Wacom website Margaret?

I also have poor performance on Lightroom 2015.2.1

i7-4770k
16GB of DDR3
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
GeForce GTX 960 4GB using Nvidia Driver 10.18.13.5850

Seagate 4TB
Seagate 3TB
Seagate 3TB
Seagate 3TB

Primary Monitor - BenQ - 32" 4K LCD
3 Samsung SA650 Monitors, 2 in Portrait and one in Landscape

Wacome Intuos PTH-651

I have tried a new catalog created only for the set of pictures I was working on and moving the pictures I was working on onto the Solid State Drive
I have tried a new catalog with only a single image in it with that image on the Solid State
I have tried GPU acceleration off. Some things improved, some things were worse. Over time, working on one image, it gets worse.
I have tried new GPU driver with clean install option selected

The develop module is laggy and get laggier and laggier the more I use it on a single photo.

The Wacom Tablet is new but I can't use it because of the lag.

I will try that next. I just tried unhooking my CD-ROM drive and hooking up a 2nd Solid State Drive and setting the cache to 100GB. Some improvement but bogged down the more I did

A little list-

Update drivers for graphics card
Update drivers for wacom tablets.
Dis-connect mobile phones from usb
Folder permissions must allow “read & write” on working folders
Turn off face recognition
Un-install all adobe programs then re-install- in order- photoshop, lightroom
Step back a version (to 2015.1.1)

Preferences options-
Delete the preferences file (or reset when starting lightroom shft+opt/alt )
Uncheck “use graphic processor”
Uncheck “show ‘add photos’ screen”
Turn off ‘automatically write to .xmp’
Increase cache size
Ensure sufficient space (20%?) On working drive.

I have rolled back to 2015.1.1.

Performance problems are still there.

I have upped my RAM to 32GB. Performance problems are still there.

I'm about to try it after uninstalling my Wacom software.

If that doesn't work I'm going to try installing Windows 7 on a separate SSD and playing with that.

I just want to clarify what happens. Lightroom is stable but the more things I do in the develop module, the laggier it gets.

I just want to clarify what happens. Lightroom is stable but the more things I do in the develop module, the laggier it gets.
Make sure that the GPU is not being used in Develop and see if that does not make a difference. Even if the GPU is on the accepted list, it does not meant that it works well with LR6. Make sure that your graphics driver is the latest before checking the box in Preferences.

If you would, navigate to LR menu {Help}{System Info} and copy and paste the contents of the information screen back into a reply here. We may be able to advise further.

What kind of work are you doing in the Develop module? As is it the same photo that's getting slower and slower or various photos?

Using Task Manager you can sometimes getting an idea of where the performance bottle neck is.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back