LR 2 x86 and x64 on same machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptr727

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hi, I am using DxO 5.3, and unfortunately it does not work correctly when launched from x64 LR.

I would like to test what the expected results should be using DxO and x86 LR, but I'd like to avoid having to uninstall and re-install LR.

Is it possible to install LR 2 x86 and x64 on the same system?

Thanks
P.

I think you would need a dual boot that allows you to launch a 32-bit operating system or a 64 bit operating system.

I think you would need a dual boot that allows you to launch a 32-bit operating system or a 64 bit operating system.

I don't believe this was the OP's question. What is being asked is can you install both the 32bit and the 64 bit version on the same system (i.e Vista64) and then choose which one to run based on need? .. but in either case they would access the same LR database.

Matt

I know that it's possible, but I'm sorry, I don't know the secret. Apparently it's as simple as flipping a switch on Mac.

I speculate that you'd rename the installation subfolder name in system:\Program Files\...
and over-install the 32 bit version. And then fiddle with shortcuts, etc. to get them pointing in the right places.

As previous posters said, it is possible under Win x64 OS...
I speculate that you'd rename the installation subfolder name in system:\Program Files\...
and over-install the 32 bit version. And then fiddle with shortcuts, etc. to get them pointing in the right places.

As far as this speculation, it is not necessary as Vista "have" two "Program Files" folders, respectivelly [Program Files] for x64 apps and [Program Files (x86)] for 32bit ones

All you need to do is run x64 or x32 instalation kit versions, no other "tricks"..

In your case, I am not familiar with "DxO 5.3" , I do not know whatthat is, don't really know how things work but I would guess it should be similar to Windows...

Regarding use of the same catalog I do not know if x32 and x64 versions are aware of settings from other version...

For example if you open CatalogA inside x32 LR , then go to LR x64 and open Catalog B. I do not know if re-opening LR x32 will open automatically last catalog used, CatalogB, or it will "remember" which catalog x32 version worked before...
need to check, will be back with feedback.

I didn't want to risk breaking my system, so I tested on VMWare using Vista Ultimate x64.

I installed LR 2.2 x86 and LR 2.2 x64 on the same system by first selecting the x64 installer, and then the x86 installer.

The x86 and x64 application shortcuts are named differently, and
both open the same catalog, and both honor the same settings.

DxO is happy to be launched by the x86 version of LR on a x64 system.

I really wish DxO would just fix their app to be launch-able by the x64 version of LR.

P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back