• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR 2.3 crashing again on XP PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BostonRott

LR 2.3 crashing again on XP PC -- is there any reason for this???

I had asked for help with this previously, and went through the trouble-shooting / delete Prefs file solution. That worked for awhile. Now it's back to crashing. I can't tell you how angered I am that I have spent money on a program which does not reliably work. :evil::evil::evil:

I have upgraded from 2.3RC to 2.3. The program sometimes will load, sometimes will just stick at the point where the grey box tells you all the names of who made it. If it gets past that point, I can work in the library module. As soon as I try to click on develop, it locks up, with my cursor being stuck as an hour glass.

Once this happens, the only way to get the stupid thing to re-open is to completely reboot my computer.

Ok, so after 3 more re-starts of my computer, I have again (for the 5th time in 2 days) deleted the Prefs file, and STILL LR will not allow me to use anything but the Library module.

I am seriously looking at uninstalling and selling this program. I'm worried it's trashing my computer by destabilizing it. When this "doesn't work" issue comes up, and I use CTL ALT DEL, the CPU usage is upwards of 5'% (with only LR running) and sometimes as high as 85% AFTER I have closed it down (by using the End now function).

Are they any known issues with LR2.3 and instability?? This is very maddening, I can't tell you how angry I am at the money I've spent on a program which doesn't work.

Hey, that's great!! :cheesy::cheesy: Glad to hear everything's running OK, let's hope it stays that way.

Seems like lots of people are having trouble with the nView panel and LR, maybe someone at Adobe should take a closer look??

Anyway, it's good to hear you're up and running! Congrats!

Bill

Excellent news, Gretchen. Fingers crossed.....

billg71;393'9 said:
Seems like lots of people are having trouble with the nView panel and LR, maybe someone at Adobe should take a closer look??

Bill

We're told that the both companies are looking into it together, but who knows at what priority? I assume Adobe is more eager than nVidia, but .....

Thanks for this thread guys! I've just had to do a fresh install of LR2.3 on a virtually clean XP machine, rebuilt after a catastrophic system failure last week. I was getting frustrated that LR crashed after a few minutes and could not for the life of me work out what was different from the previous build.

However, thanks to this thread I can confirm that turning off "enable additional features" part of Nview has completely fixed the problem with LR, so support the view that these 2 programs are interacting in a way which nature doesn't approve of.

Fantastic news East Anglian, and welcome to the forum!

You guys and gals ROCK!

I have been using LR (2.3) for only a couple months, and love it (when it worked). I experienced the exact same symptoms as Gretchen, and was going CRAZY! After 2 re-installs (with defrag, system restore, disk cleanup, scans, dusting off the monitor, etc..), deletion of prefs files, then Lrcat.lock files, I could always get rid of the symptoms, but the problem kept coming back. Seems the prefs files cause it to lock up at start up, and the Lrcat files cause it to lock up when switching modules. It's frustrating when you open a program and then cross your fingers hoping that maybe it will run this time!:x. I have had the problem once since disabling Nview. Then I saw billg71's comments on the autorun function. I think that's it. I'll let you know if I continue to get the lock-ups. THANKS!

Larry Dears

Welcome threedears, great to hear we've been able to help already!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back