• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR 2.2 back to creating tiff's before export??

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cankita

Users will recall that LR 2.' introduced the ability to send RAW files to PS without first creating a tiff - a feature that I greatly appreciated and which worked fine.

I have just upgraded to LR 2.2 and find that it has now gone back to the old method of creating a tiff in LR (and stacking it with the original) BEFORE sending across to CS3. Not what I want. My son has also upgarded to LR 2.2 using the same version of CS3 (1'.'.1) yet his sends files across to be opened by CS3 without creating the tiff!

Any ideas?

For a start Les, you could download the 2.3 RC from http://labs.adobe.com - it fixes some irritating 2.2 bugs. And if that doesn't do the trick, let us know!

That did the trick thanks but not quite in the way intended. When launching the upgrade I got the message that LR 2.3 may require Camera Raw 5.3 whereas the latest available for CS3 is 4.6. When I first got that message with LR 2.2 I selected Render Using Lightroom since I didn't have ACR 5.3 not realising that it would be set at the default with no apparent way to reverse it. This time I selected Open Anyway which now opens without the tiff being created.

Once selected and the Don't show again message is ticked there doesn't seem to be an option on the menu to choose the alternative, or have I missed it?

Anyway thanks, it's now running as I wanted.

I just finished filing a bug report about this in LR 2.3RC. It was working fine at first and now it is not. Only raws are being exported to PS now. I double checked my preferences and also reloaded a clean pref file -- no go. I re-installed 2.3RC -- no go. Hopefully Adobe will have a fix soon. :|

Best,
Darr

darr;357'9 said:
I just finished filing a bug report about this in LR 2.3RC. It was working fine at first and now it is not. Only raws are being exported to PS now. I double checked my preferences and also reloaded a clean pref file -- no go. I re-installed 2.3RC -- no go. Hopefully Adobe will have a fix soon. :|

Best,
Darr

What yo say sounds exactly how it is meant to work, no TIFF/PSD is created until you save in PS.

Once selected and the Don't show again message is ticked there doesn't seem to be an option on the menu to choose the alternative, or have I missed it?

In Preferences, there's a 'reset warning dialogs' button which should bring back anything that you've checked 'do not show again'.

What yo say sounds exactly how it is meant to work, no TIFF/PSD is created until you save in PS.

You do not understand the bug I am experiencing. When choosing "Edit In CS4" (Crtl E) the image should show up as a TIFF in CS4 not as a RAW file.

LR_edit.jpg

Hi Darlene

That bit of the UI needs making a little clearer, but it is behaving the way it's designed to.

The preferences are still there because they still apply to all other primary editors - Elements etc.

However there has been a change of behaviour, at the user's request, between LR1 and LR2. Now, when you have Photoshop CS4, it sends the raw directly and processes using PS's ACR engine. That means that you can then save that file as any format you like, including jpeg/tiff/psd, and LR should pick it up.

If you specifically like the create-tiff-first setup, simply set CS4 as one of your secondary editors, and Lightroom will create and send a tiff as per your preferences.

Hi Darlene

That bit of the UI needs making a little clearer, but it is behaving the way it's designed to.

The preferences are still there because they still apply to all other primary editors - Elements etc.

However there has been a change of behaviour, at the user's request, between LR1 and LR2. Now, when you have Photoshop CS4, it sends the raw directly and processes using PS's ACR engine. That means that you can then save that file as any format you like, including jpeg/tiff/psd, and LR should pick it up.

If you specifically like the create-tiff-first setup, simply set CS4 as one of your secondary editors, and Lightroom will create and send a tiff as per your preferences.

Thank you Victoria! Things changed when I made the upgrade and I guess I did not notice. The UI is confusing since it does give TIFF and PSD formats as an option, but does not fulfill the option when set up through the interface. Oh well. :?

Kind regards,
Darr

Yeah, the new setup needs a little more explanation in the dialog.

I have the same problem as the original poster in 2.3 and with CS4. Can't seem to get it to work with temporary raw-files which is kind of annoying ones your'e used to it. Problem is on PC running XP.

Thanks

Magnus

Hi Magnus, welcome to the forum!

Go to preferences and press the reset warning dialogs button. Now, when you Edit with... on a raw file, you should get a dialog asking whether to 'Render using Lightroom' or 'Open Anyway'. Press Open Anyway and you'll be all set.

Hi Victioria and thanks!

Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem. The dialog-box did not show up and I'm still a bit frustrated here.

This forum seems like a good one...

I have the same problem as the original poster in 2.3 and with CS4. Can't seem to get it to work with temporary raw-files which is kind of annoying ones your'e used to it. Problem is on PC running XP.

Do you have a non English Version of XP?

If so, then create an aditional folderstructure in the programs folder

i.e. for German XP

C:\Programme\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File formats and copy the ACR Plugin to that folder.
Lightroom or the internal script doesn't read the localized path from Registry and so it doesn't find ACR, which is in the correct place.
A copy of ACR in this path solved the problem for me. Before, I always got the automatic Tiff copy before sending to PS.
I read it in several english forums, that it shouldn't do that since Lightroom 2, but it never worked on my XP, until I had this idea.

Jürgen

Thanks Jürgen!

That change made it work! :)

I had to make a new folder structure for my swedish version of XP.

This is the standard:
C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats\

Making a new structure that follows made it work:
C:\Program\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File Formats\

Great! Thanks again!

Magnus

Juergen;36'29 said:
Do you have a non English Version of XP?

If so, then create an aditional folderstructure in the programs folder

i.e. for German XP

C:\Programme\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CS4\File formats and copy the ACR Plugin to that folder.
Nice tip Jürgen!

It looks like Lightroom is not properly reading the system variables like the name assigned by the Windows localization to "Program Files" in this case. So, it shall be reported as a bug...

EDIT: I rated this thread to make it easier to find...

Juergen, if you have the time to spare, that would make a very nice addition to the Tips/Tricks forum here. Please? Or with your permission, one of the mods here could cut and paste it for you.

Was about to ask the same. If you write it Jürgen, do not forget to mention Lightroom's version in case they fix it in a next version after we complain...

Nice job Jürgen

Denis Pagé;36'71 said:
It looks like Lightroom is not properly reading the system variables like the name assigned by the Windows localization to "Program Files" in this case. So, it shall be reported as a bug...

LR does find the localized Programs files but not the localized Common files folder. Common files has its own registry key.
On Vista it's no longer a problem, because there are all special system paths in English only for all language versions.
At the weekend I will write a topic in the Tipps and Tricks Forum.

Jürgen

LR does find the localized Programs files but not the localized Common files folder. Common files has its own registry key.
On Vista it's no longer a problem, because there are all special system paths in English only for all language versions.
At the weekend I will write a topic in the Tipps and Tricks Forum.

Jürgen
Err... :roll: Yes, I mixed them up but anyway, you got the idea... ;)
And thanks for the upcoming tip!

LR 2.3 and CS3

Hi,
I have seen the same problem when I am using LR 2.3 and CS3. Are these supposed to be compatible with this feature of not creating an intermediate TIFF when opening in CS3?

I noticed this when doing stitching. I am only interested in the final result, so I select several raw images in LR, then Edit in CS3. Once they are in CS3 I use Edit->Align and use the images that are already open in CS3. Once that is done, I close the individual files. However, at that point, LR has created several TIFF files that I don't need.

I have verified that the ACR file is in the Common Files path. I am using English (US) version of Windows XP.

Thanks,
Jim

I've Got It!

I think I have the answer, at least in my case, where I am using LR 2.3 and CS3. When I choose Edit in Adobe Photoshop CS3, I get a dialog box telling me that This version of Lightroom may require Photoshop Camera Raw version 5.3 for full compatibility. It ends with three choices: Render using Lightroom, Open Anyway, and Cancel.

When I choose Render using Lightroom, a TIFF file is created before CS3 opens the image. When I choose Open Anyway, the image opens in CS3 without creating a TIFF file first. It still looks like LR renedered the changes I made in LR.

Now I am sure this behavior was different when I first edited images in Photoshop, so I went to LR prefences and reset all warning dialogs. The dialog mentioned above was apparently not popping up. After resetting, I noticed that the usual "don't show this warning again" check box. I checked it, and then selected Open Anyway. Apparently this choice to Open Anyway is remembered as the default setting. This dialog doesn't show up now, and no TIFF file is created when I Edit in CS3.

On another topic, I'm not sure what types of changes I may make that are not compatible with ACR 4.6, but this does appear to be how you can get a TIFF file or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back