• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR 11.4 & 11.5 Crashing When Selecting Subject Masking

Status
Not open for further replies.

clsgman-aol

Robert Kaplan
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR 11.5
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Running Windows 10 and 32 GB RAM. Starting with the new masking options, LR crashes with and without GPU off, auto or custom.
Been told that my onboard Intel driver (updated) is not adequate and should get a discrete card.

Anyone else have this issue? and how did you solve it? THANKS

Yes, I have it too but only with Select Subject. I've posted before. My work-around is to use Select Sky first, then Select Subject, it works fine. However, if I go to Select Subject first, LR crashes and I loose all edits and the place holder on that image, done that session. It's not the driver. I've updated the driver direct using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant.
I'd be interested to know if yours acts the same. I have Win 11, 32GB of DDR5, i7-12700K with iGPU UHD Graphics 770.

Bob, yes it does. I use the same workaround if there is a Sky (or water that appears like a sky). I then select Duplicate and Invert and it usually does a good job. In your workaround, what if there is no sky to select first. If there is no sky, I use the brush tool on the subject which is usually a bird. On an Adobe chat, I was told that the Intel graphics (I have 630) performs 30 operations per second and Adobe suggests 2000 which is a mid-range card. Tempted to try it but still annoyed that it's necessary.
I'm going to try your method before I buy a graphics card which I haven't needed since I stopped gaming in the 90s. Thanks. Hopefully we'll see other posts

It doesn't matter if there is no sky. A message comes up to say it couldn't find any sky, do Ctrl-Z and away you go with Select Subject.
Yes, it's a bummer Adobe doesn't like iGPUs. Discrete GPUs are faster but that's not an issue for me. My machine is plenty fast enough. It'll do a Super Resolution in 45 seconds. I just want it to work. If speed becomes an issue, I'd rather upgrade to an i9 and get more RAM but I haven't come close to using all of the 32GB.

I have an i5 and 32GB and until 11.4 it was fast enough too. Thanks for the tip. It works well. Hopefully they'll issue a bug fix

Bob, wanted to thank you for your workaround. So glad to be able to use the Copy and invert masking feature. Saves a lot of time and effort.

Just discovered (perhaps you found this as well) that after you use the workaround you suggested to select the subject, I found that its not necessary when editing additional images with the same subject. Perhaps the LR logarithms are assisted once the first subject is found and selected

Just discovered (perhaps you found this as well) that after you use the workaround you suggested to select the subject, I found that its not necessary when editing additional images with the same subject. Perhaps the LR logarithms are assisted once the first subject is found and selected
Yes, I had found that but wasn't sure if it was consistent. Thanks for confirming.

Just installed V12. It seems the Select Subject crashing bug has been fixed. I still need to do more testing. They now also have a Select Background option which reduces the need to Select Subject then invert. Things are looking up.
I'm still using an iGPU only so looking forward to seeing if there is any change in performance.

Thanks Bob. I was just going to write to you. Things are looking up. An I think its more accurate. Not perfect but no longer crashing.
Have you tried the Select Object? Matt Klowkowski posted a short video on LR12

I tried opening masks and it crashed before I had time to select anything. Running a MacBook Pro with Monterey 12.1
Have you updated to LrC V12? Robert Kaplan and myself have found an improvement. I run a PC so can't speak for Apple.

Have you updated to LrC V12? Robert Kaplan and myself have found an improvement. I run a PC so can't speak for Apple.
I have just upgraded to 12. I can use the workaround suggested above - open the sky mask but the subject mask was crashing everything. Just about to import a new batch of photos and try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back