LR 1.4 Trial Expired. Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentj

Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2008
Messages
26
I'm going to be a lightroom user one way or another. My v1.4 trial just expired.

My options are:

1. Pay for a v1.4 license, and then when v2.' is released, pay for that was well. Ouch.

2. Start doing all my work using v2.' Beta and buy the license when it is available. (I sure hope it doesn't crash)

3. Cry. :cry:


Thoughts?
 
Sticky situation, I suppose, but with no release date for Lightroom 2, I guess the only option is to go ahead and buy Lightroom 1. If you can get by without Lightroom at all while waiting for the final release of 2, then your better option, I expect, would be to wait.

Under no circumstances would I suggest (or implement myself) using the BETA of Lightroom 2 for actual, critical work. There might be a big gotcha and all your work is gone. Not something you should be risking with critical image data.
 
If you do not need to do editing, you could use a program like Image Ingester for embedding metadata and DNG conversion (in conjunction with Adobe's free DNG Converter). Then you would be immediately ready to import when 2.' is released.

--Ken
 
Definitely a tough one. I'm particularly averse to buying software and then having to upgrade again immediately. So let's add a couple of other options into the mix...

4. Install 1.4 trial on another machine

5. Reinstall Windows and then reinstall the trial (bit extreme?)

6. Get really busy doing other things so that you don't notice you can't use LR

7. Ok, serious one. I've heard reports of some places selling version 1 with a voucher for a free upgrade to version 2. It's not an official Adobe offer, but if you can find somewhere, that's got to be your best bet.

8. If you do decide to use the 2.' beta, be incredibly careful. Make numerous backups before the photos ever see the beta, and expect big bugs.

9. Or you could just accept that you have to buy both.

1'. Or you could put the decision off for a bit and see what happens.
 
Victoria Bampton;1747' said:
7. Ok, serious one. I've heard reports of some places selling version 1 with a voucher for a free upgrade to version 2. It's not an official Adobe offer, but if you can find somewhere, that's got to be your best bet.

8. If you do decide to use the 2.' beta, be incredibly careful. Make numerous backups before the photos ever see the beta, and expect big bugs.

9. Or you could just accept that you have to buy both.

1'. Or you could put the decision off for a bit and see what happens.

Hmmm... I will look into #7. Not sure if I trust it, but who knows?

#8 is a decent option. I just purchased a number of external hard drives, so redundant backups would not be an issue.

#9 - Yuck

#1' - This is the next best option. I can just go back to using Nikon Capture 4 for the time being. The problem will be when I get my D7'' next week. I won't have any raw converter for the files. Oh well, that's a problem I don't mind having for the short term.
 
I think you'd be fairly safe, IF you can find somewhere offering option 7. I remember companies did the same before CS3 came out, but it was mainly at trade fairs etc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top