Love to Hate or Hate to love

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilksail1

I am a wildlife and landscape photographer. Been doing this a very long time, first film and digital the last 20+ years. My first Lightroom was 1.2 and I now use 6.14. I am here to learn about me reluctantly moving to the subscription plan. My workflow in 6.14 is what I want to keep and I have tried other editing software, but none that I like. I have probably a million photos to manage as I sell my work and keeping up with all of them can be a challenge.
After many years with Nikon I now shoot Sony mirrorless and use apple computers for photo processing. Most of my work is in Mississippi and Tennessee

If you upgrade to the subscription, you'll end up with the same Lightroom that you know and love, with some really nice improvements. You'll install Lightroom Classic, and when you open it, it will create an updated copy of your current catalogue and open the new one. All your stuff will still be where you left it, and you'll be able to use the same workflow as you always have.

If you upgrade to the subscription, you'll end up with the same Lightroom that you know and love, with some really nice improvements. You'll install Lightroom Classic, and when you open it, it will create an updated copy of your current catalogue and open the new one. All your stuff will still be where you left it, and you'll be able to use the same workflow as you always have.
this might not be the place to ask, but the Lightroom classic would go on my iMac and MacBook Air m1. Would I still have old versions of my catalogs I could use on my old 2011 MacBook Pro with 6.14 on it.

this might not be the place to ask, but the Lightroom classic would go on my iMac and MacBook Air m1. Would I still have old versions of my catalogs I could use on my old 2011 MacBook Pro with 6.14 on it.
Catalogs are upgradeable, but not backward compatible. So, if you have dedicated catalogs on you 2011 machine and will not be wanting to upgrade them, then they will work with 6.14. I do not believe that you will be able to install 6.14 on your new machines because of installer incompatibility, so having both 6.14 and Classic on your new machines will probably not be possible.

--Ken

Catalogs are upgradeable, but not backward compatible. So, if you have dedicated catalogs on you 2011 machine and will not be wanting to upgrade them, then they will work with 6.14. I do not believe that you will be able to install 6.14 on your new machines because of installer incompatibility, so having both 6.14 and Classic on your new machines will probably not be possible.

--Ken
Yes I know that 6.14 won't install on the newer computers and I have no plans to install lightroom classic on the 2011. It will be seldom used but just wanting to make sure it would still work with 6.14 and the old catalogs

Yes I know that 6.14 won't install on the newer computers and I have no plans to install lightroom classic on the 2011. It will be seldom used but just wanting to make sure it would still work with 6.14 and the old catalogs
It should. Since your 2011 is somewhat "frozen" with respect to OS upgrades, 6.14 should continue to work on that machine.

--Ken

Yes, Lightroom Classic runs on the M1 chip. If the MB air is not well spec’d, performance might be an annoyance but it will run,

I run LrClassic on my M1 iMac. You will want to get everything on Lr Classic catalog(s). You should not need 6.14 again since the catalog structure is out dated by LrC v11.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I jumped from Lr v5.7 to Lr-Classic (v7) and have NEVER wanted to return to v5.7
You will find the same going 6.14 to 11.1
You will only keep v6.14 on a system (with a dedicated 'old' catalog) if the system cannot be upgraded to be compatible with Classic 11.1

Update: after trying dxo, capture 1 and on1. I decided to go subscription lightroom classic. I just couldn't develop a decent work flow in the others. I could have gone to 9.xx and kept Mojave and installed the same on the m1, to keep the catalogs consistent , but I went up to Catalina and both computers got 11.1. Except for a few tiny things everything seems good. Thanks for all the advise.

I'm sure that was a good choice. Lightroom's goal has always been managing and adjusting photos (notice the plural), and most other apps ignore the underlying reality that these are the two faces of the ever-growing pixel mountain.

I'm sure that was a good choice. Lightroom's goal has always been managing and adjusting photos (notice the plural), and most other apps ignore the underlying reality that these are the two faces of the ever-growing pixel mountain.
I have used lightroom from the beginning , except for a few years with Aperture, I stuck with 6.14 to avoid the subscription, but had to replace my laptop I edit with on the road and my iMac is a 2013 , so It was time. The other programs are probably good, but this old dog doesn't want to learn new tricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back