Lost thumbnails and images, only in All Photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmany

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Hi all
here is a wierd problem. At least to me. I upgraded to 2.6, do not know if i had this problem befroe, but do not think so. Did some reorganizing, then went to the All photographs to correct some keyword metadata that did not import right the firt time (old problem, jsut addressing it now).

All looks great when i go to each hard drive where the photos are stored, i can see all the thumbnails, can access the photos for developing, etc. But in the all photograph section at the top or the library, for most of last eyar's photos i see every other or every third thuimbnail. Sometimes a conisistant pattern, see 2, miss 2, other folders have an inconsistant pattern.

if i click on the ? at the top right (in All Photogrpahs), it will ask if i want to find the photo, gives me its previous location. i go to that hard drive (bottom portion of the library) and click on that folder and that photo, i see all photos from that day and see that one, and it is normal. The one that was "found" by clicking on the ? will not be seen or allowed to reimport. If i drag it to that disc, it is already in the folder. But i still canot see it in the ALL Photographs section.

is my file corrupt? I have optimized it, backed it up, verified it, etc. Turned computer on, off multiple times. OS Snow Leopard, very new Macbook pro, lots RAM, HD space etc.

Any help would be appreciated, applogize for the spelling, this site does not have spell check and i think i am dyslexic, cannot type.

Joyce

Joyce, what if you select a bunch of those in Grid and in Menu -> Library -> -Previews... -> Render Standard-Sized Previews?

Seem not only your previews got lost but your inquiry too! ;)

Joyce, I'm wondering if somehow there may be more than one copy of some files in the catalog.I would look at Synchronising a folder and see it that works when you see the files from that folder in All Photos. If so work through Synchronising all your folders.

Hey, be a bit careful recommending synchronizing without specifying Geoff. I've heard of way too many people who allowed it to delete and reimport files and losing all their settings in the process.

[quote author=Victoria Bampton link=topic=8759.msg59961#msg59961 date=1263419628]
Hey, be a bit careful recommending synchronizing without specifying Geoff. I've heard of way too many people who allowed it to delete and reimport files and losing all their settings in the process.
[/quote]

Agreed!

I am myself very wary in its use and only try that after a proper backup. Sh*t happens as they say. ;)

I'm having this problem as well. Clicking on "all photographs" shows no images. In the filmstrip I see empty gray placeholders where the images should be. I tried rendering previews to no avail. I can view and access the images perfectly fine every other way--clicking on collections, hard drives and hd sub-folders, Quick Collection, and Previous Import. But nothing under "all photographs." Also just tried synchronizing my most recent folder. I've used command-L to make sure library filters are off.

I've tried optimizing the catalog and deleting prefs. Using 2.7. Anyone else experiencing this?

eta: I just noticed that I can see filtered photos via All Photographs. IOW, if I highlight All Photographs with no filters, I see no images. If I add a text filter, images with that text do show.

Jim, do you see the cells where the photos should be? What if you leave All Photographs and go look in the individual folders instead? And what if you go to All Photographs and press Cmd-L to disable all filters?

Oh hang on, I've just spotted the beta in your profile - is this a catalog upgraded from beta 1 to beta 2 Jim?

Hi Victoria:

This is with 2.6--not a beta version. I do see cells in the filmstrip--gray boxes. In the main window I don't see anything. I can view and access the images perfectly fine every other way--clicking on collections, hard drives and hd sub-folders, Quick Collection, and Previous Import. I tried command-L to turn off all filters--no dice.

That's quite bizarre!

Ok, I'd try 2 things:

1. Close LR, find the catalog, move the *.lrdata file somewhere else, and restart LR. It'd have to rebuild previews, but I'd hope that'd work. If it doesn't...
2. Select all > Export as Catalog (no previews, no negatives) and then open that exported catalog. If that works, remove the old catalog (perhaps put it with your backups and move that exported catalog to become your working catalog.

Victoria:

I tried 1 with no luck. Then I tried 2, and the export started, but after a while I got an error saying "could not export" or something similar. By the way, I have over 26',''' images--is this size an issue?

Size shouldn't be an issue, but that "could not export" is worth investigating. Try number 2 again, but export to a few different chunks... we can merge them back together if we can get it to work.

OK, I'm working on exporting as catalog in chunks. My photos from the LR catalog in question are on 5 different drive, so I'll do 5 exports by selecting each drive and exporting as catalog. I'll report back. Is there a way to export my collections--or will that happen automatically after exporting images that are in collections?

Collections should go automatically with the catalogs, and I'm pretty sure they'll merge back together when we merge the catalogs later. But obviously don't delete the big catalog yet!

eta2: I guess I spoke too soon--once the import finished the previews showed up, even when I click "all photographs." So far so good--it appears that this should solve the problem, but I'll update the thread once I get everything imported.

OK, thanks. I exported everything, and just created a brand new catalog. I'm importing the first hard drive (which I exported as a catalog), and there are no previews showing. I know the building standard previews comes later, but as I recall you should see some kind of preview image as things are importing. I'm jsut getting gray boxes in the filmstrip and in the main window, but with the filenames of the files. And some are vertical, others horizontal. I'll report back when the first import is finished, but this seems strange...

eta: the hard drive corresponding to the catalog I'm importing now is external but it is connected while I'm importing.

OK, follow up: everything's working fine after following suggestion #2 from Victoria (several posts up). I've got a new catalog working well, and I can see my pictures when "all photographs" is selected. Thanks Victoria!

Brilliant news Jim, thanks for the update!

I am still missing quite a few thumbnails (although the initial "all photographs" problem is solved). I've tried using "render standard previews" but its going very slowly. Is there a way to render thumbnails only?

Only scrolling through them Jim. Why not just leave it rendering overnight?

[quote author=Victoria Bampton link=topic=8759.msg65838#msg65838 date=127283'423]
Only scrolling through them Jim. Why not just leave it rendering overnight?
[/quote]

Actually I did that last night with one of my external drives, but only 16'' or so got done out of over 2','''. I have internal drives and FW drives, but this particular one is USB.

Seriously? 16''? All night? Is that drive running as USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.' or something? That's incredibly slow.

[quote author=Victoria Bampton link=topic=8759.msg6584'#msg6584' date=1272833248]
Seriously? 16''? All night? Is that drive running as USB 1.1 instead of USB 2.' or something? That's incredibly slow.
[/quote]

I thought so too. USB 2. I'm wondering if I have a bigger problem. Now I'm getting repeated freezes when rendering previews from an external FW8'' drive. Also, I get common freezes or crashes when exporting or uploading Web galleries (I started another thread here on that). I wonder if I should reinstall LR? Now I'm working with the new catalog that I made per your suggestions, but things still seem sketchy.

I have recently run Techtool Pro on my startup drive, and use Diskwarrior on my external drives. Also repair disk permissions regularly. And I have optimized the LR catalog a couple times.

For me, I've seen repeatably sketchy Lr behavior twice, and both times it was the very first symptom of a hard-drive dying. How confident are you with the external drive?

[quote author=Brad Snyder link=topic=8759.msg65846#msg65846 date=1272843189]
For me, I've seen repeatably sketchy Lr behavior twice, and both times it was the very first symptom of a hard-drive dying. How confident are you with the external drive?

[/quote]

I guess it could be dying, but it's not too old, and has not shown any signs of dying (other than what I've described here). It appeared fine when I recently ran DiskWarrior on it. Also, I'm using LR with 5 different drives, and the issues are not just with one drive. Any suggestions on how to determine if it's dying?

I had some problems like this and found removing the Previews.lrdata file while LR is shutdown fixed the issues. LR will rebuild the previews when you restart it.

[quote author=sizzlingbadger link=topic=8759.msg65858#msg65858 date=1272853631]
I had some problems like this and found removing the Previews.lrdata file while LR is shutdown fixed the issues. LR will rebuild the previews when you restart it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I did try this--it was suggested earlier in the thread. It didn't solve the "all photographs" problem, but maybe it will solve other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back