• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Book module Lost saved book in book module

Status
Not open for further replies.

kikapoo

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
person 7.3.1 CC Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have been working on a book in the Book Module for quite awhile. I saved it as "Saved Book" and usually when I open the book module, it opens up with all the edits and changes. Today for some reason it opens with all the photos, each on its own page, with all the edits gone. I have not been able to find the saved version.

Sounds like you switched to the book module while you had some images selected that are not part of the book. So Lightroom thought you wanted to make an new book. The saved book should be in your Collections panel on the left. Click on it to get to the book you were working on.

"The saved book should be in your Collections panel on the left. Click on it to get to the book you were working on."
Agree- correct answer!
To add a little detail-
A Single-click opens the 'Saved Book' Collection photos in Grid View,
A Double-click opens the 'Saved Book' Collection in the Book Module in 'design' view, (or a single-click on the white arrow that appears when mouse cursor is hovered over the Book Collection name.)

Thanks, All
After panicking for about 24 hours (prior to reading these notes), I finally found the saved book at the bottom of the collections panel. Thanks for the information!

I realize this is an old thread, but I have the same/similar problem. I created a Collection, stuffed it with photos I wanted to use in a book, then went to the Book module. At some point I saved the book. At some point(s) I left the Book module to visit some other Collections and Folders and find more photos, etc. I went back to the Book module. Over a few hours, I rearranged and resized photos, laid out my cover, added Page Text and Photo Text, and finished about a third of my book. Then, tired after a long day, I quit Lightroom.

I came back to it a few days later, and cannot see any of my work! When I clicked on the Book module it took me to an Unsaved book, which had some(all?) of the right photos, but none of my edits or text. I saw the saved book, clicked on that; it has the same(mostly?) set of photos, in a different order, but again, without any of my edits or text.

Is there any place I can see a list of all saved books? apparently not. I manually stepped through all my Collections, and Collection Folders, trying to see whether I'd saved the book in another place; no luck.

Are the changes actually lost when you switch away from the book, or exit Lightroom, without explicitly saving? if so, that's a horrible design. (Actually, the whole Book module is terribly confusing, and poorly designed.)

Am I SOL?

"I went back to the Book module." I believe that is basically your problem!
You must go back to the Saved Book Collection, not the Book Module menu, not a Standard Collection..

Some comments-
A Standard Collection of photos is not a Book!
Only by clicking on the tab to CREATE A SAVED BOOK Collection do you create and record all your editing of a book design.
Any time you need to return to editing a Book you MUST 'open' if from the SAVED BOOK COLLECTION.
Do NOT open from the Standard Collection by clicking on the Book Module menu.
The only time you EVER need to click on the top menu [Book Module] is when starting a new book.
Many tutorials do not place enough emphasis on creating a 'Saved Book', but it should be the FIRST thing you do when starting a book.
"Is there any place I can see a list of all saved books?".
Yes- in the Collection panel. Book Collections have a small icon that looks like an open book, and you can assemble all book collections in a Set for convenience.
! BEST PAGE-How to Make a Photo Book
ScreenShot138.jpg

Thanks for your help. I created a Saved Book early on, but from what you are saying it was a mistake to assume that clicking on the Book module would take me back to the Saved Book I had been working on... instead, it would create a new unsaved book. Perhaps I did so, then did all my editing. Are you saying that I would necessarily then lose all those edits unless I save the book at that point? Apparently so. Again, Lightroom's Book module interface is a terrible design; this behavior is unlike any other in Lightroom (e.g., if you make a lot of edits in the Develop module, you don't lose them when you switch to a new photo and back).

So, it appears, I've lost all my work !

I would like to make a Smart Collection Folder to see all my Book Collections, but apparently that is not possible. I would have to manually scroll through all Collection Folders to find Books and move those Books to the new "all books" folder. Right?

Thanks for your help. I created a Saved Book early on, but from what you are saying it was a mistake to assume that clicking on the Book module would take me back to the Saved Book I had been working on...
A "mistake" - Yes. (And I agree that it is very un-intuitive and poor design.)
instead, it would create a new unsaved book. Perhaps I did so, then did all my editing. Are you saying that I would necessarily then lose all those edits unless I save the book at that point? Apparently so.
If you see the Tab [Create Saved Book] at the top-right of the main window, then you have not created a Saved Book Collection. It will disappear when one has been 'Saved'.
ScreenShot417.jpg

Again, Lightroom's Book module interface is a terrible design; this behavior is unlike any other in Lightroom (e.g., if you make a lot of edits in the Develop module, you don't lose them when you switch to a new photo and back).
If you are working on a Book in the Book Module (and you have Saved it as a Book Collection) then at any time you want to adjust or re-develop a photo, select the photo, press[D], re-edit, the [Ctrl+Alt+4] will take you back into the Book. So you won't lose them if working from the Saved Book Collection.
So, it appears, I've lost all my work !
"Lost"- quite possibly. Unless you can find some of the work in a Saved Book Collection.
I would like to make a Smart Collection Folder to see all my Book Collections, but apparently that is not possible. I would have to manually scroll through all Collection Folders to find Books and move those Books to the new "all books" folder. Right?
Someone may have an answer- that I cannot find!
My only thoughts are to Rename all Saved Books with the prefix word- 'Book' then a Smart Collection can find them-

ScreenShot419.jpg

Or use the Collection Filter and set all your Saved Books with a color label-

ScreenShot416.jpg

Also it can be prudent to make copies of Saved Book Collections by- [Right-Click] > [Duplicate Book].

Edit last reply!-
A Smart Collection as suggested would find PHOTOS that are IN named "Book" Collections- NOT the Collections!
Not what you were asking!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back