• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lost collections by trying to stop sync

Status
Not open for further replies.

belgiantaff

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 11.4.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm finding the whole sync business very confusing. I didn't want to be storing my photos in the cloud (have adequate backup) so to try and stop syncing certain collections I clicked on and deleted the collections in LR Classic, using the little icon at the left of the collection name. Now I find I've lost the edited images in it. I read somewhere that this could be undone, but cannot now find the "how to" instruction. Can someone help please? I'd like to try and avoid having to re-input and re-edit all these.

I'm finding the whole sync business very confusing. I didn't want to be storing my photos in the cloud (have adequate backup) so to try and stop syncing certain collections I clicked on and deleted the collections in LR Classic, using the little icon at the left of the collection name. Now I find I've lost the edited images in it. I read somewhere that this could be undone, but cannot now find the "how to" instruction. Can someone help please? I'd like to try and avoid having to re-input and re-edit all these.

Point #1. Storing photos in the Adobe Cloud is not ‘BackuP”
Point #2. Collections are Simple’s assignments of images in a group. The image files are stored in the file system and can be found in the Folder panel with all edits intact.

While it is possible to delete images from a collection AND form the file system, you are given sufficient warning before you actually can commit to the deletion of the image files from the filesystem.

First, lets determine if you took the extreme step and deleted the images from the collection AND the file from the filesystem. Can you find the missing image in the Folder panel? Did you at anytime press the Reset button on these images?

How recent is your most recent catalog backup before you started deleting collections? (that happens on exit for LrC).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

....so to try and stop syncing certain collections I clicked on and deleted the collections in LR Classic, using the little icon at the left of the collection name
These are two different things. Either you "Clickd on and deleted the colllections" or you "clicked on the little icon at the left of the colleciton name". If you did the former, then it makes perfect sense that those collections are now gone as you deleted them. In the later case it would stop syncing those collections (and would turn off the icon).

If you're not sure which action you triggered, can you please explain in more detail what you clicked on and what came up on the screen (if anything) when you clicked on it. Include if the clicks were left or right clicks. Also include if you pressed the "minus" sign at the right end of the "Collections" panel title bar.

Point #2. Collections are Simple’s assignments of images in a group. The image files are stored in the file system and can be found in the Folder panel with all edits intact.

While it is possible to delete images from a collection AND form the file system, you are given sufficient warning before you actually can commit to the deletion of the image files from the filesystem.

First, lets determine if you took the extreme step and deleted the images from the collection AND the file from the filesystem. Can you find the missing image in the Folder panel? Did you at anytime press the Reset button on these images?

How recent is your most recent catalog backup before you started deleting collections? (that happens on exit for LrC).

Thanks for that, very helpful. I'll go through your points as they occur.

Yes, I accept that storing images on the Adobe Cloud is not a proper backup. I have daily backups on external drives - for catalogue, original files and edited images. Each of these is backed up again monthly onto additional drives. My real objective was to be able to get my smartphone shots into the pc but without having all my collections etc saved to Cloud. Not sure how I should be going about thatst. The smartphone seems to save it all automatically, including some images synced down from the pc?

Looking again at the folders today, I'm finding that only 1 small collection is affected. The collection title remains but no content. Equally, I have lost the original images from the folder. However, the edited images are still there on the main drive, as are also all the backups. Seems odd as I'm convinced that yesterday they were not appearing in that folder!? Anyhow, seems as if all I have to do is reinput the edited files into the collection.

My most recent LR catalog backup was on 13 August - 1 day before I went on holiday for a few days, returning on 18th. So, as recent as it could be. I could restore from that but there seems no point now, would you agree?

These are two different things. Either you "Clickd on and deleted the colllections" or you "clicked on the little icon at the left of the colleciton name". If you did the former, then it makes perfect sense that those collections are now gone as you deleted them. In the later case it would stop syncing those collections (and would turn off the icon).

If you're not sure which action you triggered, can you please explain in more detail what you clicked on and what came up on the screen (if anything) when you clicked on it. Include if the clicks were left or right clicks. Also include if you pressed the "minus" sign at the right end of the "Collections" panel title bar.
Thank you. I'd clicked on the icon to the left of the collection name.. in fact on several of them. However the images remain in the folders so I can re-input where necessary. All collection names remain.

My real objective was to be able to get my smartphone shots into the pc but without having all my collections etc saved to Cloud. Not sure how I should be going about thatst. The smartphone seems to save it all automatically, including some images synced down from the pc?
Sync'ing with the Adobe Cloud is a two way option. Lightroom Mobile syncs everything on the mobile device from the Lightroom App to the Adobe Cloud. Synching TO Lightroom Classic, Since everything from the Adobe Cloud to your Lightroom Classic Catalog.
Lightroom Mobile syncs both images and Album Assignments. When synced to Lightroom Classic, Album Assignments become Lightroom Classic Collections. And All full size images FROM Adobe Cloud show up in the Special Collection Calle "All Synched Photographs". If you do not want images Synched from the Adobe Cloud to show up in Lightroom Classic Collections then don't create Lightroom Mobile Albums.
On the Lightroom Side, Only collections designated to sync to the Cloud. will sync to the cloud as Lightroom Albums. Images that originate in Lightroom classic are sync'ed as Smart DNGs (Smart Previews) that have a maximum, long edge of 2560 px. These are suitable for use on the web and on Mobile devices AND they never count against your 20GB plan storage limits.

So, to get your smart phone shots into Lightroom Classic all you need too do is the following:
  1. Import or Auto import to ONE designated album that will contain only Lightroom originated images
  2. Do not set and Lightroom Classic Album to sync too the cloud. But turn on Syncing.

Sync'ing with the Adobe Cloud is a two way option. Lightroom Mobile syncs everything on the mobile device from the Lightroom App to the Adobe Cloud. Synching TO Lightroom Classic, Since everything from the Adobe Cloud to your Lightroom Classic Catalog.
Lightroom Mobile syncs both images and Album Assignments. When synced to Lightroom Classic, Album Assignments become Lightroom Classic Collections. And All full size images FROM Adobe Cloud show up in the Special Collection Calle "All Synched Photographs". If you do not want images Synched from the Adobe Cloud to show up in Lightroom Classic Collections then don't create Lightroom Mobile Albums.
On the Lightroom Side, Only collections designated to sync to the Cloud. will sync to the cloud as Lightroom Albums. Images that originate in Lightroom classic are sync'ed as Smart DNGs (Smart Previews) that have a maximum, long edge of 2560 px. These are suitable for use on the web and on Mobile devices AND they never count against your 20GB plan storage limits.

So, to get your smart phone shots into Lightroom Classic all you need too do is the following:
  1. Import or Auto import to ONE designated album that will contain only Lightroom originated images
  2. Do not set and Lightroom Classic Album to sync too the cloud. But turn on Syncing.

Thank you. That sounds very helpful but I'll have to read through it carefully to ensure I'm fully understanding it. However, I appreciate your time and patience - many thanks again.

Thank you. That sounds very helpful but I'll have to read through it carefully to ensure I'm fully understanding it. However, I appreciate your time and patience - many thanks again.
That all works fine, thank you so much. The one query left is taht I have 3 images "sync pending" but seem to be stuck. How can I identify these and what can I do to unblock the sync please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back