• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lost but found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Kaplan

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I have been having serious trouble with Lightroom. The issue centers around the fact that

I seem to have LOST at least 2 and possibly 3 shoots (about 600 pictures) that have just vanished. I have spent a good amount of time trying to locate these images , but I have failed in doing so. That is until last night. I tried again to find those files by looking at the drive I call Peter’s Edited Lightroom Drive. I searched by estimating the time frame that these images were shot and spent time going though them to see if any of those images showed up. It was only after the last set of files in and around the date that I finally found the whole shoot. everything is there.////

But first I want to back up a bit. While trying to find those images, I went through this version very closely and had no problems in seeing lots of images that were available to me. I could open any one of those images with no problem. But when I finally located the shoots that were lost ALL those images have restrictions with the rectangle on the right top of the image. Meaning LR can’t find the images in question. So something happened that made these images unavailable to me. I have tried the usual ways to find them but nothing is working.

Can anyone suggest another way to finally make these images available to be edited?

Thanks.

@@@ see attached image

Attachments

• 1569159675324.png
    1569159675324.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 211
OK, this screenshot shows that the images are all missing. It's quite possible that their folder is also missing, so if that is true, then the best way to reconnect them is to reconnect that folder. Follow these instructions: Lightroom thinks my photos are missing—how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

By the way: the biggest island of the Canary Islands is called 'Tenerife', not 'Tennerife'.

Sorry. Here is the situation as far as I can tell. I tried Spotlite and each time all it did was "indexing' and then stalling out. I tried every which way with spelling and no change. But as I mentioned before I did change the names of the files from Tenerife to All Tenerife Canary Islands 2018 and made some selections and called that collection All Gran Canaria Islands 2018. So my mistake. Thanks Peter

For my DSLR photos I always save photos to my hard drive into my folder structure from outside of Lightroom Classic. Once I know they are there I will fire up Lightroom and import them. So if for any reason they cannot be found in LR you know exactly where they are on the hard drive.

But as I mentioned before I did change the names of the files from Tenerife to All Tenerife Canary Islands 2018 and made some selections and called that collection All Gran Canaria Islands 2018. So my mistake.
What exactly did you rename?
The collection name - All Tenerife Canary Islands 2018 - isn't a problem, even if you renamed that.
The files appear to have their original filenames in Lightroom, for example, L1160401.RWL. Do they have the same names in the folders in Finder?
The files were last seen in your Pictures folder, in a folder called Key folder of originals. Does that folder still exist? And are the photos found inside it? No need to use Spotlight for that, just go to the Pictures folder using Finder.

Sorry. Here is the situation as far as I can tell. I tried Spotlite and each time all it did was "indexing' and then stalling out. I tried every which way with spelling and no change. But as I mentioned before I did change the names of the files from Tenerife to All Tenerife Canary Islands 2018 and made some selections and called that collection All Gran Canaria Islands 2018. So my mistake. Thanks Peter
Did you rename the files, outside of Lightroom? That is about the worst thing you can do. Lightroom still knows these files by their original names, so you would have to tell Lightroom what the new name is, by clicking on the exclamation mark and then selecting the file with its new name. You can only do that one by one... The files aren't called 'Tenerife' however and never were according to Lightroom.

Did you rename the files, outside of Lightroom? That is about the worst thing you can do. Lightroom still knows these files by their original names, so you would have to tell Lightroom what the new name is, by clicking on the exclamation mark and then selecting the file with its new name. You can only do that one by one... The files aren't called 'Tenerife' however and never were according to Lightroom.
Or rename them all back to their original names in the Operating System, then LR would see them (if this is the reason) - perhaps using a batch rename, perhaps that was how they were changed in the first place?

Back to Victoria's question - what did you actually rename??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back