• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lost ALL Presets - HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ispyjudy

Lightroom Version Number
Classic Version 10.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I recently did a windows update and my whole computer crashed - lost everything on the hard drive! External back up drive was also connected at the time and it was wiped as well. WORST NIGHTMARE. Anyhow Dell came and reinstalled windows and I had to reinstall all my software. Installed Lightroom Classic but none of my many many presets are present. Wondering are they lost for good or is there somehow I can get them back. Have searched in google but no help there. Would appreciate greatly if anyone out there has any ideas to assist me.

Next time you have a backup drive, remove it always after the backup is made!

Your Windows update should not have affected any of your external drives especially your backup drive. Are you sure and what else happened?

It was confirmed by Dell that the external Hard Drive was in fact affected by this crash. I was at the time replying to some emails and the system said it was updating windows and closing down which it did and then when it tried to restart there was the blue screen of death. The rest is history. We managed via a lady in India (Dell Support) to backup to this external hard drive the C Drive. But when I tried to plug the hard drive into another computer it failed to recognise the drive. Spent $600 Au to get the disk recovered and am now going through all the files on it to get them in somesort of order. Luckily my laptop was still under warranty so Dell technicians were there in a couple of days to reinstall windows and do some other checks and downloads.

But back to my main issue ........... is there any way I can get my presets back!

If files on your C:drive have been recovered there is a good chance you will find them. And in this link you will have a clue to the folder location of the .XMP Presets-
FILE LOCATIONS
Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ Lightroom \
When you do find the files, copy them to a safe backup location.

If files on your C:drive have been recovered there is a good chance you will find them. And in this link you will have a clue to the folder location of the .XMP Presets-
FILE LOCATIONS
Windows—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ Lightroom \
When you do find the files, copy them to a safe backup location.
Thank you so much I’ll have a go. And if I can find them and save them I just import into LR?

Sadly, a disk rescue, does not always restore files.
More importantly, do you have your camera files and your previous Lightroom-Classic Catalog that links, and shows, all your photos?
If so, the presets are not so critical- You could re-create presets from your developed images, the internet has hundreds of free presets, and learning how to use the functions of LrC in your style will benefit you in the 'long run'.

Sadly, a disk rescue, does not always restore files.
More importantly, do you have your camera files and your previous Lightroom-Classic Catalog that links, and shows, all your photos?
If so, the presets are not so critical- You could re-create presets from your developed images, the internet has hundreds of free presets, and learning how to use the functions of LrC in your style will benefit you in the 'long run'.
Yes I do have all my files still but when I try to load a previous LRC catalogue is won't seem to load. Never mind I can just recreate once again my own presets, it just takes time .......... and I have purchased once again Anthony Morganti's fantastic set of presets. I usually fine tune them to my needs as well. Many thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back