• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Lightroom Classic 8.0 and Lightroom CC 2.0 (desktop) and Lightroom CC 4.0 (mobile) have just gone live. My books are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

Losing Lr edits on a PSD/TIFF/PNG after editing in PS

superpete

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Hi,

I'm Peter, I've been teaching Lr since version 1, and I know most of it inside out. There are 2 things I still can't wrap my head around, and answers didn't come from Adobe either.
1. If I have a PSD or other non-RAW file in Lightroom, I can make Lr edits on top of it. But when I then decide to alter that file in Photoshop (edit > edit original), save it and return to Lr, all the non-destructive edits from Lr are gone. That doesn't make any sense to me, since both types of editing don't interfere. Editing in Photoshop is like going inside the container to work in there, so why would it cancel what's wrapped around the container? "The ticket describing the bottle shouldn't change when I pour a different liquid inside it."
2. Well, this doesn't really belong here, but anyway: when adding GPS data to photos in the map module, suggestions for addresses is turned on. But suggestions remain in italics (therefore not really applied to the field), and there doesn't seem to be a way to batch the suggestions inside the field (CTRL+S doesn't do it of course). Typing the fields, one by one, the first letters, and entering does it. But I'd be mad to do that to the thousands of photos I make on my trips. I remember this wasn't the case when the map module was first introduced. It made me go back to geosetter.de for this, but maybe I'm missing something. It could be a rights issue with Google, but Adobe doesn't reply to my questions regarding this.

Thanks for any advice
Peter

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
What you describe about edit in Photoshop does indeed not make sense, and should not happen. The Lightroom edits should remain. As what you describe does not happen in my Lightroom setup, you need to give a bit more details about your workflow. Describe it step by step, please.

superpete

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Hi Johan,

My workflow is very simple. This seems to happen on all Windows machines. At school, they are not always up to date, but here at home all my software is up-to-date. I closed and reopened LR and PS so they had a fresh start.
1. I create a PSD from a RAW by CTRL+E (16 bit, prophoto, PSD)
Schermafdruk 2018-06-17 22.02.50.png

2. I do some edits in Lr:
Schermafdruk 2018-06-17 22.03.04.png

3. CTRL+E > edit original, and I add a layer and brush in Photoshop. I save and close.
Schermafdruk 2018-06-17 22.03.54.png

4. Upon returning, I get to see my Photoshop edits, but the LR edits over it have vanished. I never thought this was the case but upon testing it here, I'm confused over it, because it doesn't make sense.
Schermafdruk 2018-06-17 22.04.11.png

Underneath my hardware specs, as said: all drivers and software are always up-to-date. No conflicts, no error messages, no system crashes ever.
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Processor
Intel Core i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz 31 °C
Haswell-E/EP 22nm Technologie
RAM
32,0GB Onbekend @ 1332MHz (15-17-17-35)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. X99-A/USB 3.1 (SOCKET 2011) 28 °C
Graphics
DELL U2711 ([email protected])
4095MBNVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (Gigabyte)

superpete

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
Thanks for your reply Johan, I failed to notice the history panel. Clicking on the last history state did bring back the edits.
I turned on "automatically write to XMP" settings in the catalogue and that made it work automatically. So now the edits remain visible when moving back and forth between PS edits. I used to have it turned on all the time up to about a year and a half, but when my catalogue became really big, it started to slow down (especially when working on keywords) too much and I decided to turn it off.
That is a solution of course, but shouldn't it work no matter how that setting is? I mean, if the history state remains the same, it should show the actual current LR edits to the PSD when returning to Lr without me having to click the latest state, no? I suppose this is a small bug, but it's been there for a while now.
PS: also I don't get the exclamation mark on the thumbnail when doing this, so it's not treating it as "edited externally", since it was sent and returned directly between LR and PS.

JohanElzenga

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
The way I understand it is that the problem is not that you have to use 'Automatically write to XMP'. I don't use that and I don't have this problem. The problem is that when you do have 'Include Develop settings in metadata inside JPEG, TIFF, PNG, and PSD files' checked, you must also check 'Automatically write to XMP'. If you have the first one checked, but you haven't written the changes to XMP, then these zero settings are read on return and cause what you are seeing.