• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Looking for Cloud-free workflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvsx3

Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
  2. iOS
Hello everyone. I travel with a 1TB IPad and at home I use Lightroom Classic CC on a Windows 7 desktop. While traveling I use the Apple "Camera Connection Kit" (an SD card reader) to copy pictures to the IPad. I would love to use Lightroom Mobile to cull, rate, and lightly edit pictures WITHOUT Internet. Once home I would love to import pictures from IPad to my desktop, via USB cord, to my desktop computer and to my LR Classic library, again WITHOUT Internet. I have no need to bog down this workflow by uploading and downloading hundreds of GB of RAW files to/from the Internet. Can this workflow be accomplished? Thank you!

Hello everyone. I travel with a 1TB IPad and at home I use Lightroom Classic CC on a Windows 7 desktop. While traveling I use the Apple "Camera Connection Kit" (an SD card reader) to copy pictures to the IPad. I would love to use Lightroom Mobile to cull, rate, and lightly edit pictures WITHOUT Internet. Once home I would love to import pictures from IPad to my desktop, via USB cord, to my desktop computer and to my LR Classic library, again WITHOUT Internet. I have no need to bog down this workflow by uploading and downloading hundreds of GB of RAW files to/from the Internet. Can this workflow be accomplished? Thank you!

Sure, this scenario is no different fro what was available before Adobe introduced the mobile products

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure, this scenario is no different fro what was available before Adobe introduced the mobile products

It means you cannot use Lightroom Mobile, however. If the OP wants to use Lightroom Mobile, then the only way to get the images to the desktop machine is via the cloud.

It means you cannot use Lightroom Mobile, however. If the OP wants to use Lightroom Mobile, then the only way to get the images to the desktop machine is via the cloud.

Actually just the opposite is true. You can always plug you phone into your computer and import the “old fashioned way”. But If you want to share those images on the desktop via mobile Lightroom, then you need to get the desktop connected to Lightroom in the cloud.

You can't import images "the old-fashioned way" if they're in Lr Mobile and have been edited there.

You can't import images "the old-fashioned way" if they're in Lr Mobile and have been edited there.

In another conversation I just verified that images in Lightroom can be shared to the CameraRoll and the Camera Roll can then be imported into Lightroom Classic using the Lightning cable connecting the Phone to the computer.

Sure, you can export them from LrMobile as Jpeg or Tif, but that totally destroys the non-destructive workflow. The OP wants to cull, rate and do light edits in LrMobile, then continue the work in LrDesktop.....doing it your way would mean the "lightly-edited" original would be stuck in LrMobile, while a Jpeg/Tif derivative is all that would be available on the Desktop. And then when the originals finally do sync up to the cloud and back down to the Desktop, there are then two versions of each file in the cloud, each partly edited, which is a recipe for a mess.

Or the OP could export as "Original" to get the raw files into the Desktop, but that would lose any work done in Mobile as there's no "Original + Settings" export option. That would cause an even bigger mess when the two copies of the same original meet somewhere in the system.

This OP wants to take originals shot by the phone camera in the Photos storage area. These can be imported into LR Classic the “old Fashioned way” as was available in LR6.

In the other thread earlier, the Op had a slow connection and shot phone pictures using the LR camera. Those needed to be “Shared” to the camera roll to be imported to the laptop to avoid using a slow internet connection.
I agree that if you shoot RAW an import them into mobile Lightroom, the only thing that can be shared/exported is a LR processed derivative. However, If you are using a camera card, you don’t need mobile Lightroom to get your originals to Lightroom Classic.

This OP wants to take originals shot by the phone camera in the Photos storage area. These can be imported into LR Classic the “old Fashioned way” as was available in LR6.
Cletus....read the first post in this thread again. Nowhere is a "phone camera" mentioned, the OP is planning on importing images to the iPad from an SD card (which I've assumed to be Raw, though the same issues persist even if they are only Jpeg).

Cletus....read the first post in this thread again. Nowhere is a "phone camera" mentioned, the OP is planning on importing images to the iPad from an SD card (which I've assumed to be Raw, though the same issues persist even if they are only Jpeg).

I see that you are correct. Lightly edited can only be saved as Tiffs or JPEG. Sorry for the confusion.

Thank you guys for clarifying my worst fears about the current situation. Jim: sorry that I "sought a second opinion", so to speak, by reposting my question here, but the additional discussion was useful. And I did find the "feature request" in the Adobe Feedback / Request area and added my vote and specific feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back