• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Long time to render

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bikeit65

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Anyone know why do my files that are rendered as Standard previews take such a long time? It takes 10 to 15 seconds before I can clearly see if the image is sharp or not, anyone offer any help please?

Anyone know why do my files that are rendered as Standard previews take such a long time? It takes 10 to 15 seconds before I can clearly see if the image is sharp or not, anyone offer any help please?
Is it just the Standard Preview or all sizes? Has it always been like this?

am having the same issue. I use smart previews. Speed is really, really dragging.
I use a Windows version, latest updates, Intel K9900, RTX 2080Ti, 64GB RAM, all files on M2s.
150k images

Is Lr faster on Mac?

To see if the image is sharp, you zoom in to 100% I assume. That means that Lightroom Classic needs to generate a 1:1 preview if it does not already have that. This should not take more than a few seconds, but because the image needs to be read, it depends a lot on where the image is stored.

LrC uses working storage to create temporary files during the Preview Creation set. Insufficient freespace in C:\TEMP would cause Windows to slow as it needs to make room for the temporary files. So what does your C Drive look like wrt freespace?

I just posted this on another thread .... and this has been my real world experience.... on a well specified custom Windows PC. Every case is unique ... and not everyone might agree with the steps I followed.

I agree with Cletus.... available capacity for working files is the first item to check ...

This is a large subject and there can be layers of reasons.

I found the following made a difference for me. In no particular order.. as each of these made a difference, but I cannot remember what order I used.

1. Windows Indexing.... was running in the background... initially fine tuned and then turned Indexing off completely. I do not need Windows Indexing.... as was never happy with the results anyway, Lr is the best tool for searching for images and the little utility called 'Everything' is super for adhoc search's (say for office docs, etc).

2. Windows AntiVirus.
I turned this off for my Catalog folders and image folders. I do not want Windows Antivirus checking previews as they are built by Lr to be competing with image rendering, or a 12TB drive with 150,000 images to be re-scanned or re-indexed when I import a new batch of images.

3. Preview Size.
I have a 4k 32inch screen, but reducing the standard preview size to 1680 pixels made a big difference in my sense of screen interoperability.

Semi Regular Maintenance.
Approx every 18 months I will:
a. Delete all previews ... so any junk left in there can be cleared out.
b. Import my current lr catalog into an empty new database, so any junk within the internal indexes of the Lr catalog can be flushed out.

BTW... I have an Gigabyte GEFORCE RTX 4070Ti GPU. Despite this, reducing the standard preview size, in my case, improved overall responsiveness.

The conventional wisdom seems to be not to create 1:1 previews in import, but I find having them all up before starting the cull, greatly speeds up culling.

The conventional wisdom seems to be not to create 1:1 previews in import, but I find having them all up before starting the cull, greatly speeds up culling.

Why would it? On a 4K monitor the largest image only needs to be 3840X2160. 1:1 Previews of my 48mp Nikon NEF is 8256 x 5504. You only need 1:1 if you are pixel peeping. You certainly cull using the screen resolution image or less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why would it? On a 4K monitor the largest image only needs to be 3840X2160. 1:1 Previews of my 48mp Nikon NEF is 8256 x 5504. You only need 1:1 if you are pixel peeping. You certainly cull using the screen resolution image or less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I don't know. It just is quicker on my machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back