Not open for further replies.

Gronlund I

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi!
After upgrading to LR3 (LR3.2 this moment) I have been wondering the long backup time.
Without testing integrity and without optimizing the catalog it takes about 13 minutes just
to copy the lr3cat -file to another disk (that's what the LR-backup does, right??). My
lr3cat -file is big, 1,43Gt at this moment, but still...
If the integrity test and optimizing are on, the backup takes about 33 min.
Besides LR "freezes" during backup so I cannot even minimize it.
Does this sound normal behaviour or is there some kind of mess in my system?

And one more follow-up question: is it possible just use Windows copy-paste prosedure for this purpose? Just testet, took about one minute.

I'm not sure LR should actually be freezing - although you can't minimize it, you should be able to switch to another program on the Windows task bar instead.

Yes, the longer time is likely due to the size of the catalog. Windows copy and paste will do basically the same as the backup without the integrity test and optimization turned on. It be doing a bit of tidying up at the same time, which could explain the longer time, and if you decide to use the copy/paste usually, it would still be worth running the integrity/optimize routine from time to time to make sure everything's kept straight.

I think there was a remarkable increase in the backup time after the upgrade, so I was a
little concerned if something went wrong on that point, but obviously not.

And yes, I can use other programs from task bar if it is visible.

Thank you!

I'm definitely no expert when it comes to "large" catalogs, as mine is only about 12'mb. However, my backup time which includes optimisation AND integrity check, takes about 2' seconds.....which to my mind tends to suggest that 13 minutes is too long and something else may be going on. Might be worth running the Task Manager next time to see if you can identify any particular bottlenecks....

By the way, is the catalog on an internal or external drive?

Any other 1gb+ catalog users got any backup timings for comparative purposes?

My primary cat is 2.4 GB and takes in the 1'-15 minute range to Verify/Optimize and Backup.

I have noticed a moderate increase in back up time since 3.

Mine is 638mb and with integrity and optimization, takes about 15 minutes. Used to take maybe 1'.

Was wondering if i was just becoming impatient!

FWIW - on LR 2.5, an oldish, not very fast computer, 1 GB catalog w/ ~47k images, I get the following times:

Catalog integrity check - ~6 min
Thumbnail cache integrity check - ~1 min
Catalog backup - ~1 min
Total time - 8 min

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back