• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Locks on Panels - cross posted to Adobe

PatrickC

Cross posted to Adobe feature request forum:

There are several places in Lightroom where it is too easy to inadvertently move or change things. Sometimes it is just a minor irritation, but one which in aggregate slows down the workflow. Other times there can be more serious knock-on effects. It is perhaps especially a problem when using a tablet (as I do).

A system of applying locks to particular elements would help to speed up the workflow. Places where this would be useful:

The hide/show panel strips.
Parent and child keyword tags (it's too easy to inadvertently move keywords in the hierarchy)
Folder hierarchy
Collections

Rather than have locks on each individual folder/keyword/whatever, it would be OK to lock the pane to prevent unintentional changes. The user could specifically unlock the pane he wants to work on.

I appreciate that it may not be desirable to further clutter the GUI with extra icons, so what about a simple key combination toggle for the element?

What do you think?

Patrick Cunningham

Brad Snyder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Patrick, I tend to agree somewhat, but at a low level of priority.

Are you aware of the different modes of panel operation, which can be chosen by right-clicking on the panel operating triangles? I prefer to leave all of mine set to 'manual'.

Mark Sirota

Lightroom Experience
Power User
I thought the same thing, but then decided he's probably talking about accidentally opening or collapsing the individual sub-panels.

PatrickC

Mark got it right! It's just too easy to inadvertently click on the open/close strip when trying for the scroll bar next door.

There are alternatives for this specific problem, such as reducing the open/close trigger target to just the arrowhead (an Adobe fix) - or as Brad says, setting the strips to Manual (a user fix). I find the auto hide quite useful, so I keep it on despite the occasional irritation of panels popping open when I don't want them.

The other thing that happens occasionally is I accidentally drag a keyword within the hierarchy in the Keyword List pane. When I look for the keyword it's gone! I panic - then I find it nested below something entirely unrelated. To be frank, the pane is usually closed unless I am working on the hierarchy, so it's only occasionally a problem.

Same thing has happened once or twice with folders getting dragged into other folders, though I think this has been improved since the warning popups about moving folders, which pretty much stops this. With Collections, the situation has also improved because you can't drag a collection folder into another collection, only into a collection set.

So I probably shouldn't have bothered. It's definitely a low priority anyway. Just looking for a few ways to fine-tune the app.

Patrick Cunningham

Brad Snyder

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Mark got it right!

I thought the same, but figured I'd point out the obviouse just in case.

The other thing that happens occasionally is I accidentally drag a keyword within the hierarchy in the Keyword List pane. When I look for the keyword it's gone! I panic - then I find it nested below something entirely unrelated. To be frank, the pane is usually closed unless I am working on the hierarchy, so it's only occasionally a problem.

[COLOR=#''''ff]Yes, this is a relatively common 'error' for me as well. Athough, I have to say I encounter similar phenomena in other software as well, particularly, a multi-paned Windows Explorer replacement I use.[/COLOR]

So I probably shouldn't have bothered. It's definitely a low priority anyway. Just looking for a few ways to fine-tune the app.

[COLOR=#''''ff]Nothing ventured, nothing gained ..... :)[/COLOR]