• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 18 October 2022 It's Lightroom update time again and there's a new AI-based Masking tools and a new Content-Aware Remove Healing tool, as well as smaller features, new cameras, lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Location of recent catalogs list

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
LrC/12.0.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi, I have LrC set to prompt me for which catalog to open each time I launch LrC as shown below.

1669134983987.png

For some reason each time it is displayed, it always defaults to "LR12 Test Catalog" as shown even though that one is not the first one in the list and is also not the most recently used catalog. Any idea why it picks that one and how I can have it default to the top one? I'm on Windows.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Odd! Recent catalogs are stored in C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ Lightroom \ Preferences \ Lightroom Classic CC 7 Startup Preferences.agprefs which is different to the normal prefs, so if you can't figure out how (no idea!) then trashing it might work.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm on Windows.
That says it all Dan. I've been having that same issue as you for years, plus other catalog opening issues (if I switch to a different catalog, it will often dump me into the Import dialog of the new catalog when it opens). These problems only ever occur on my Win10 system, never on my Mac system. I don't think Adobe have ever got on top of these issues on the Windows platform (especially the slow startup), so I just use it now for testing purposes.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Odd! Recent catalogs are stored in C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ Lightroom \ Preferences \ Lightroom Classic CC 7 Startup Preferences.agprefs which is different to the normal prefs, so if you can't figure out how (no idea!) then trashing it might work.
It may be so on Mac, but on Windows they're also in Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs, the main preferences and at the item "recentLibraries20". Trashing that main preference file would trash lots of other stuff, but Dan might be one of those users I would trust to edit that file in a text editor like Notepad (being careful to back up the file first, of course). I could cut and paste this entire line.

1669194379615.png

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thanks Victoria, Jim and John. Will Give some of this a shot and see what happens. Of course this is just a minor annoyance more than a real "problem" but would be nice to get to the bottom of.
You might try renaming that test catalog so that it doesn't initially appear in the Select Catalog dialog, to see which other catalog it auto-selects. I checked last night and it appears that my Win10 installation is now finally behaving itself after many years of errant behaviour, but I've made quite a few changes to my test catalogs setup recently, so that might have played a part.