• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Catalogs Location of lrcat file in Windows 10

tshack91

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Lightroom Version
LR Classic Creative Cloud Subscription
Operating System
Windows 10
Recently migrated from a Mac Mini to a WindowsPC running Windows 10. First off big shout out to LRQ for tip to use the NTSF plug in on my old Mac to transfer the Photo's and Lrcat file(s), was losing my mind! THANKS!
Question on the location of the lrcat files.--
When I started up LR on the new PC it created a initial lrcat file on the OneDrive. After I finally figured out how to get the Mac lrcat file that I wanted working on the PC I placed it in the same location. In this whole process I noticed several omissions of photo's from my Mac days that I imported onto the new PC. I then started noticing my overall internet speed drop to a crawl and I finally figured that all these wholesale changes to LR were taking up all sorts of bandwidth syncing the lrcat file with OneDrive.
Did some research and apparently theres no problem moving the lrcat file to a local hard drive (or is there?). My other thought is that once I'm done with all this importing and moving photo's around the amount of bandwidth should go down.
I did read on another post a suggested location for this file on the harddrive
All that to ask this question - Are there any benefits to keeping the lrcat files on OneDrive vs. a local drive to my PC (which I did on old Mac and all worked fine)
Thanks ahead of time

Tim Shackelford

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
a suggested location for this file on the harddrive?
My suggestion is a folder (call it Lightroom Catalog) inside you Documents/Pictures folder.

Are there any benefits to keeping the lrcat files on OneDrive
No. Only a big disadvantage that you will be backing up thousands of Preview files to OneDrive constantly as they change. (Previews must reside next to a Catalog)
You are better to have the Catalog on a 'local' drive. You can choose to Backup the Catalog (without Previews) to OneDrive each time LIghtroom is closed (or weekly, etc. In the Backup preferences).

When I started up LR on the new PC it created a initial lrcat file on the OneDrive

Strange that it used OneDrive!
Ideally you should have copied you Catalog (.LRCAT file) from the Mac to a location (as suggested- hard-drive) and [Double-clicked] to open it on the PC.
That 'New' empty catalog (in OneDrive) could be deleted if you have re-opened you previous working catalog.
There should have been NO importing necessary if you copied both Catalog and Images from the Mac system!

I noticed several omissions of photo's from my Mac days
You may not have copied over Presets, Profiles, etc that you had used in the Mac.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
All that to ask this question - Are there any benefits to keeping the lrcat files on OneDrive vs. a local drive to my PC (which I did on old Mac and all worked fine)
Thanks ahead of time

Tim Shackelford
Tim,

In addition to what I-see-Light said, there is another issue with keeping the lrcat file on OneDrive. Lrcat is really a database file, using a design called sqlite3. (If you happen to use Quicken, that program also keeps all the account and transaction information in an sqlite3 database.) the key point here is that sqlite3 is NOT design for use with any kind of non-local storage. You risk database corruption, and if you read through the forums, you will notice a fair number of posts have to do with trying to recover a corrupted LR catalog.

Now there is nothing wrong with use OneDrive (or Google Drive or DropBox, et al) as an online backup.

Phil

tshack91

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Gents, thanks for the quick and thorough response. Been scratching my head on why win10 would default location to OneDrive. Will move to local drive ASAP. Fortunately I’m a backup maniac and I have a backup of the lrcat file if corrupted

Tim

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
Been scratching my head on why win10 would default location to OneDrive.
OneDrive is Microsoft's answer to Apple's iCloud. MS wants to make your data universally available to all of your devices and a cloud location to backup all of your critical files. New Windows 10 installs default to OneDrive. There are reasons that this is not always practical. Lightroom is an example of why you don't want to store all of your critical files to the cloud.

SaraLH

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 8
FWIW, I'm a Windows user and since about 2012 when I built my last computer I've kept my entire LR installation on a separate SSD (D:\). There's a Program Files folder which contains all of my Adobe programs and the Catalog and Cache and Plugin folders. The catalog gets backed up to my NAS and if anything should ever happen to my C: (boot) drive then LR is completely unaffected, even when I install a new system drive. The pictures themselves are on a another separate drive (F:\).

And no, none of my original pictures or LR catalog or any other LR files ever come in to contact with OneDrive. Too many conflicts.