• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Location Info Input Automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System:OSX High Sierra
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info):Lightroom Classic version: 7.1 [ 1148620 ]

I'm using iPhone photos to sync location info with my Canon RAW files. The problem is that the Country, City, State, etc. shows up in italics and will not sync unless I click on the corresponding button to the left of the field and click to confirm the entry. And it will not allow me to select multiple and do many at one time so it appears I have to do this one photo at a time. Very time consuming. Is there a way to automatically make this info permanent, i.e. not be in italics so that I can sync the meta across multiple photos?

Screen Shot 2017-12-29 at 2.01.14 PM.png

Thanks for any clues!
Patrick

Thanks for the tip and link. It looks powerful but after installing and poking around I still don't see a way to confirm the location that is currently in italics other than one click at a time. I tried syncing metadata from the iPhone image to the RAW image and now all of these images show the location info but still in italics. I tried exporting one to photoshop and checked file info, alas the location is NOT embedded in the metadata.

Hmm, problem persists.

That's the clue I was looking for! Thanks to both of you, it does work and even though it's another step it is very much faster than one at a time.

Unfortunately there is not a way that I know of to batch update the italicized location fields in Lightroom to permanent. As you discovered they are not really in the database. You can use it for search filters and Smart filters but cannot copy as with other metadata.

However, if you are happy with location data that what Adobe provides you could instead just copy the GPS coordinates from one of your iPhone images to a group of raw images and then let Lightroom do the address lookup as it is for your iPhone images.

In order for any application to do address lookups you will still need to add GPS coordinates to the images. Another option is to use the Map module, zoom to the approximate location and drag a selection from the film strip to a point in the map. This will batch assign GPS coordinates to those images.

Then you can either let Lightroom do the address lookup or use Jeffrey’s “Geoencoding Support” plugin to do the address lookup. I like to use the "one by one" option as it gives my more flexibility selecting how I want the location fields filled out.

-louie

I don't believe there is a way to make them permanent as a batch, but there IS a way to tell Lr to export the suggested locations upon export if they exist. That of course requires that you have GPS coordinates input in the appropriate fields, but it does seem to work. I don't recall offhand where the "export suggested location info" option is and I'm at the office so I can't look it up currently, but it is there somewhere, perhaps under LR preferences.

I don't believe there is a way to make them permanent as a batch, but there IS a way to tell Lr to export the suggested locations upon export if they exist. That of course requires that you have GPS coordinates input in the appropriate fields, but it does seem to work. I don't recall offhand where the "export suggested location info" option is and I'm at the office so I can't look it up currently, but it is there somewhere, perhaps under LR preferences.
It's on the Metadata Tab of the Catalog Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back