Location case change

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMac9090

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
LR CC is telling me that I have just under 5000 images where the location country is "FRance" instead of "France"

I know however that not all of them are actually spelled incorrectly, but I cannot see a way to get LR to show me just those that are actually spelled wrongly. I've had a look at Any Filter and can't see that that helps either.

Any suggestions welcome.

Ta

Why do you need to isolate the incorrectly spelled files? Select ALL the France/FRance pictures and enter the correct spelling....those that are wrong get corrected, those that aren't wrong also get "corrected". Result should be all correctly spelled.

Spelling

Why do you need to isolate the incorrectly spelled files? Select ALL the France/FRance pictures and enter the correct spelling....those that are wrong get corrected, those that aren't wrong also get "corrected". Result should be all correctly spelled.

Purely because of the subsequent effort in updating backups.

If I simply edit all the files, then I have subsequently got to back-up ALL 5000 files (and I have 3 copies).

So to minimise disk thrashing, I'd like to only edit those I need to.

Colin

But why do you have to back up the images? The changed metadata is in the catalogue, which is what needs backing up.

John

I'd take John's suggestion, and just don't write the metadata change to the file, at least for now. If you subsequently make an edit you do want backed up (meaning backed up within the file's own metadata) then write to metadata then. Meanwhile, France is preserved.

I'd take John's suggestion, and just don't write the metadata change to the file, at least for now. If you subsequently make an edit you do want backed up (meaning backed up within the file's own metadata) then write to metadata then.

Thanks to both for the responses.

I will do as suggested. Many thanks again

Colin

Somone in my camera club said we should do it, and I've done it ever since!

Just to be clear. Always backup your images.
Unless you write the meta data back to the image file, the image file is never updated. So the original backup is fine.
Now if you are writing the meta data back to the file, a new backup would be a good idea to save recovery time. But again, it is not required. If you ever restore the original image from backup, you can tell Lr to write meta data to the file and it will update the file as required.

Hope that all makes sense...

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back