• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Local Adjustments take long to render.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cicchine

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hello.

I just upgraded to Lightroom Classic and I noticed as in the previous version I was using LR 5.7 when I do Local Adjustments it takes a long time for the adjustments to render. For example I will paint over an area and then I will adjust the Exposure and it can take about a minute to render. Then I will adjust Contrast and the same. Then Saturation and the same thing again. It is not that I expected this to have been addressed in the newer version and I have been wanting to ask this question for quite a while but I just did not get to ask it here. From what I have read online some recommend doing some of these adjustments in Photoshop but since it is not too critical a matter and my Photoshop skills are so weak I prefer to do as much as I can in Lightroom and then use some Lightroom Plugins. Would an External GPU speed up the process? If anyone has any advice for me to make Lightroom render local adjustments faster I would appreciate it. If not as I said it's not that big a deal. Thank You to all for your great help. I Truly appreciate it.

John

You do not tell us the specs of your computer, so we would be guessing. I assume you have a MacBook or MacMini without a dedicated GPU? An eGPU will help in that case. I have a MacMini 2018 with the highest specs possible, but of course that still has no dedicated GPU. So I bought the BlackMagic eGPU and the kind of edits you are talking about are in real time on my computer. No lag at all.

You do not tell us the specs of your computer, so we would be guessing. I assume you have a MacBook or MacMini without a dedicated GPU? An eGPU will help in that case. I have a MacMini 2018 with the highest specs possible, but of course that still has no dedicated GPU. So I bought the BlackMagic eGPU and the kind of edits you are talking about are in real time on my computer. No lag at all.

Hi Johan.

Good point and my apologies. I thought I had saved my computer specs. somewhere here. The specs for my computer are...

15 inch MacBook Pro Retina Display 2014
RAM 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Processor 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Please let me know what kind of eGPU you recommend. Thank You Very Much Johan.

John

I read somewhere that some MacBooks have compatibility issues with some eGPUs. Thought I'd mention it just in case!

When I travel I use a 2015 13" MacBook, 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 4 GB Ram. Not ideal bit not too bad. I follow this pretty carefully. People have noticed a performance improvement when turning Lens Corrections off before doing brushwork.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/optimize-performance-lightroom.html
A few sections from that document.

Spot Removal tool, local corrections, and History panel

The Spot Removal Tool and Local Corrections Brush are not designed for hundreds to thousands of corrections. If your image contains many (hundreds) of localized adjustments, consider using a pixel-based editing application such as Photoshop for that level of correction.
If you have many corrections, check your History panel. The History panel has no limits, and it isn't deleted unless specified. If you've been creating many local or spot corrections, your history could be long, which can slow Lightroom's performance as a whole.
Clear the History panel by clicking the X on the right of the History panel header.

Order of Develop operations
The best order of Develop operations to increase performance is as follows:
  1. Spot healing.
  2. Geometry corrections, such as Lens Correction profiles and Manual corrections, including keystone corrections using the Vertical slider.
  3. Global non-detail corrections, such as Exposure and White Balance. These corrections can also be done first if desired.
  4. Local corrections, such as Gradient Filter and Adjustment Brush strokes.
  5. Detail corrections, such as Noise Reduction and Sharpening.
Note: Performing spot healing first improves the accuracy of the spot healing, and ensures the boundaries of the healed areas match the spot location.

Aslo read

Avoid corrections that you don't need

Johan, it was just a "heads-up" nothing more. Some of those tested claimed Mac compatibility but in the event they were not. I see no harm in warning people that such stuff exists. And it was in respect of kit across the price spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back