• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N+13

Chuck N+13
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I work on CC / iMac and when I import I build 1:1 previews. Why is it that 30% - 70% of the time when I change to the next photo the "Loading" message remains for 2 to 6 seconds? The fact it is none or all of the time baffles me. What is it doing?
Thanks.
N+13

Which module are you referring to? Library and Develop modules use different previews, and so can exhibit different results when moving from image to image.

If ever an answer not to satisfy . . . I see it in both and it is not on every image - it is intermittent. Sometimes doggedly nearly all the time and at times rather infrequent.

I don't know if this info helps. Import: I Copy as DNG; I Build Previews 1:1 as well as Build Smart Previews; in Catalog Settings I use Preview Quality Medium and Discard Never. I use CC 2015.7. Not certain what else to tell you.

FWIW, I have observed the same thing.
For both of you. The latest version update is LRCC2015.8 There have been some pretty egregious bugs in earlier versions of LRCC2015.x and LRCC2015.8 is the best so far. I am not saying that LRCC2015.8 will solve your problem, but some improvements have been made in rebuilding nearby image previews to speed up the display process. I don't remember which dot release actually implemented this but I think it was LRCC2015.8. Make sure that you are running the latest release of LRCC (2015.8) and then report back whether there is an improvement.

Other thing that can interfere with LR's ability to open files quickly is a virus scanner sitting between the LR app and the preview image file. By excluding all image files, LR files and Preview files from the virus scanner, you can minimize this problem. The LR app creates Previews so there is no need for a Virus scanner to inspect the preview file before handing it off to LR.

What may be in play here, is what Cletus is referring to. If both of you are actually at whichever version started the pre-load of preceding and following images.. It may be that you notice the "loading" display if you move through the nearby images 'too quickly', before LR has had a chance to build the nearby previews.
(ETA: Come to think of it, I think they added that a while ago - but then 'tuned' it in a later release or 2.)

However, having said that, I've been noticing similar when zoomed in at 1:1 and going back and forth between 2 next-to-each-other images to compare them (in Develop). It may be fine for 2 to 3 switches or so, but then suddenly it'll say "loading" on a subsequent switch - and then it repeats after a varying number of more switches. It causes a hefty problem when I'm trying to compare noise in a bracketed HDR set - between the LR-merged 2-exposure and 3-exposure versions. Though I also notice it even when zoomed 1:1 into non-merged raws, albeit it goes quicker.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back