fabthi

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
macOS 10.11 El Capitan
Hi all
It's happening quite often, though not always.
When I'm in Develope module, and while I'm working on an image, a "Loading" tab appears at the bottom of the preview (see screenshot).
Schermata 2018-11-13 alle 15.49.54.png

Please notice I can regularly make any adjustment to the image itself while the tab shows up.
Only, sometime it can stay there for, well, forever, or at least until I go the the next picture.
The LR catalog I'm working on, as well as the folder of images, is on an external hard drive.
Why is this happening and can it be fixed ??
Thanks to all

Last edited:

Hal P Anderson

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7

Jim Wilde

Lightroom Guru
Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
"Loading" is entirely normal in many circumstances, notably in Develop when selecting a new image, and also in Library when zooming to 1:1 and a 1:1 preview doesn't exist. What would be abnormal would be for that "Loading" indicator to never go away, as that's more likely to indicate a hard drive issue somewhere when LR is trying to access the appropriate location (library previews, ACR cache, or image files). Note also that "loading" in Develop can take a very long time to disappear if the image has a large number of existing edits, or is a large file such as a merged panorama.

If you want to, you can disable the "Loading" indicator (View>View Options>Loupe View>uncheck "Show message when loading or rendering photos".

fabthi

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Many thanks to both of you for your help!
Hal: I did Optimize the catalog (File>Optimize) and I'd wait to see if there will be improvements on the issue before resetting the Preferences.
Jim: the fact that the "Loading" tab appears only for some images could well fit with your explanation. I checked for permits and other issues on the external HD but it looks fine.
So will wait to see if Catalog Optimization will make any better