• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Loading my photos onto LrC

Status
Not open for further replies.

judes-heever

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 5.6 to LrC
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Simple question, I think. will I lose my metadata on my photos that I have stored on my External Hard Drive through Lightroom 5, when I download my photos onto a new computer into my LrC?
And is that the way I should get started?

Simple question, I think. will I lose my metadata on my photos
Simple answer; no. There are two aspects to this. If you're photos are already in LR5, the metadata is in the catalog and/or the photos or XMP side car files for RAW files. See the Quick Start Guide for info.

It sounds like you were planning to re-import your photos. Do not do this. Simply install LR Classic and run it. When it comes up, it will ask to upgrade your catalogue. Allow it to do so. You'll find yourself with all your photos showing in LRC with whatever edits and metadata changes that you've applied.

Thank you Paul and Hal,
my dilemma is moving from one computer to another with my newly downloaded LrC. I have downloaded both books by Victoria, and read through them. Usually so self explanatory however this time, I found it difficult to actually get the answer I was looking for.
Currently I am importing my photo's from my hardrive. It appears to be keeping all my folders , and fetching the initial previews. Taking time but so far so good.
My old Lightroom 5.6 is still visible on my old computer in Lightroom. I did make an attempt to move the LrC with the other files but aborted the process. hopefully.
Am I correct in assuming that I am building a new Catalogue in LrC on my new computer?

Okay, thank you for the other info, very helpful. I shall study more.
The reason that I am seeing all my edited photos on the recent import from my hard drive could be that I have originally imported the photos with XMP side car files.
However. I do want to do this correctly from the get go, and I am assuming that what is happening with the new import, that I am creating another catalogue on my new computer ?? which is not ideal. Having Lightroom do the backing up is extra assurance with the history of my photos.

I am creating another catalogue on my new computer ?? which is not ideal.
You lose information that is only held in the catalogue such as history and collections
Having Lightroom do the backing up is extra assurance with the history of my photos.
Keep in mind LrC does not backup your photos, only the main part of the LrC structure. See this blog for more insights.

Okay, done my studying ... I seem to have ignored a lot of things :barefoot:. So I have now copied my Lr Catalog, together with Lightroom Settings, Backups, and any other files that were under that folder, onto the same hard drive as my photos. Checked it and it is all there.
So now the question is before I copy this over to my new computer and click connect, do I delete the new catalog that has been created on my new computer with the help of Adobe Lightroom Downloader?

So I have now copied my Lr Catalog, together with Lightroom Settings, Backups, and any other files that were under that folder, onto the same hard drive as my photos.
Just make sure the MACOS volumes that pointed to your photos on your old computer is the same on your new one. I believe this is correct but I'm a PC user.
do I delete the new catalog that has been created on my new computer with the help of Adobe Lightroom Downloader?
If this is an empty catalog the likely the answer is yes but you can leave it for now.

What you need to do is open LrC pointing to your old catalog you copied over so that it can covert it from LR5 to LrC 11. See this for info but you will need to point to or open your old catalog after launching LrC

If this is an empty catalog the likely the answer is yes but you can leave it for now.
So it is not empty as I started to download the photos from my hard drive onto my new computer into LrC. So when I open LrC it does not ask me about the catolog. It just goes directly to the newly formed catalog.
Can't seem to find another route. I do have everything backed up so would there is no risk deleting the catalog and photos that have already been imported and starting again? OR even removing LrC and installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back