• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Loading Images INTO LR (3.6) in same order as they were taken in ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safariholic

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
according to Metadata (Date & Time Picture taken) and NOT as per the Numerical Order of the Images in another Off-line Folder.

Thanks very much.

Am having to redo a 10 hour piece of work !!

Safariholic

Images are not imported in any particular order though there may be an order presented to LR by the file system.
On the import panel, there is a dropDownListBox near the botton that will let you sort the (order) the images on the source drive in the grid view. Once imported, you can sort the image in the library grid view using a similar sort field located on the Toolbar.

Cletus

I defer to your greater knowledge and expertise with LR, BUT ..........

The images sure look like they are in AN ORDER (Date order, then by Number {of the image)).

"On the Import Panel, there is a dropDownListBox etc etc (as per your advice)........... "

where is that more specifically ?

The one on LHS does not afford me the Options you describe, so I must be doing something wrong.

By Toolbar - do you mean the Top Left, where the 3rd is Library and I shoudl select Filter by Metadata.

In that case, I may have made some progress.

Apolgies for being quite so crass and tentative, but scared witless at making another hash of it, and loosing the Lot.

Thanks

Safariholic

Lightroom_2012-07-25_11-11-09.jpg

There it is.

Hal

And: sort order in the import dialog is only for displaying in a specific order within the import dialog. It has nothing to do with the order images are imported. And besides, the order in which images are imported is not important. What (maybe) is important is where the imported images are stored, but that's another thing.

Sorting in the library grid view is what lets you view your imported photos the way you want.

Seems I have misled the Surpreme Counsel of wise men (Ladies included), so will try to more precisely articulate my intentions:.

I am trying (with a newly imported set of 316 images from an outside LR-Folder loaded Library) to:

1. Place them in a specific order/sequence according to Date & Time. Reason being that when they are Viewed later (outside LR on a Digital Photoframe or whatever), the sequence tells a much improved Story.

2. Once in that Order/Sequence, I will do some refining in DEVELOP.

3. Then when I have that task finished, I wish to EXPORT them to a Folder on my C Drive AND a further Copy to 2 other Externasl Storage Devices as backup.

My major struggle right now is with placing these Images in the sequence.

They appear to be ruled by a Numerical Sequence (overriding the Date & Time to some extent) - see Screen Shot below.

My latest idea (maybe mad ... ?) is to (a.) Export all the Images as they are right now to a FOLDER on C Drive, using a new Numerical Order

(b.) Then when certain they are there safe and sound - Erase all Images from LR.

(c.) Re-IMPORT them into LR hoping that they will now be in a better sequence,
or at least not driven by the Numbering Sequence (I clearly fouled up with earlier ... !!)

LR Screen Shot of Numeric Issue.png

Me thinks, this Numerical Sequence is at root of my problem ...... !

Massive thank you to you all

Safariholic

Do NOT re-import!

1. Clee has shown how to make Grid view sort by capture time, doesn't that sort the photos inside LR as you want?

2. Develop any way you want.

3. When you export you can choose to rename the exported copies in a number of different ways, if necessary. Also bear in mind that outside of LR, the application used to display the photos (Windows Explorer for example) is what determines the sorting order. Different application have different sorting options.

3.1. If your original photos already have filenames that place them in the correctly ordered structure (as would be the case with normal filenames straight out of camera. DSC_2176, DSC_2177, DSC_2178 and so on) you don't have to rename the exports at all. Exporting with original filenames, and then outside LR sorting by filename would give you the correct date/time order.

3.2 If you export (regardless of renaming or not) and keep the date/time metadata in the exported file (that is: you do not choose to minimize the metadata) then you could sort (e.g. in Windows Explorer) on date/time. This will, again, give you the correct order.

3.3 You can rename your exported files to include the date/time in the filename, and then sort on filename outside LR. Again: correct order.

3.4 You can rename your exported files using a sequencing number scheme, where the first image get a 1, the second 2 and so on. Sort by filename outside of LR, and, again: correct order.

One basic question thus: what are your original images called?

Another: what happens when you sort in Grid by capture time?

A third: what happens when you sort in Grid by file name?

Last edited:
And worth repeating:

3. .... . Also bear in mind that outside of LR, the application used to display the photos (Windows Explorer for example) is what determines the sorting order. Different application have different sorting options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back