• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 25 June 2024 It's Lightroom update time again! See What’s New in Lightroom Classic 13.4, Mobile & Desktop (June 2024)? for the bug fixes and new lens profiles. Warning... this is a minor dot release and does NOT fix some of the bugs introduced in 13.3, so if you reverted to 13.2 due to bugs (e.g. sync issues), we'd suggest you stay there for now.

Linear Gradients - how to come back out of the tool when finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiona.johna

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
I am trying to get to grips with linear gradients, using the book. When I have added a gradient and I am finished with that mask, how to I accept it so I could I good exit the mask tool and then go back in to the mask tool and try another linear gradient adjustment.

So I have made the gradient adjustment, pressed enter and then gone back into the editing mode. I then click back on the masking tool but I seem to still have the previous masking rectangular in box on screen in top right of the image? How can I get rid of it please?

1711401686905.png

Click on that big blue "+" button at the top of the left-hand panel. You appear to have minimised that particular panel, but if you click on the left-pointing arrow which should be above that "+" button that will expand the panel and then you'll see the text "Create New Mask" next to the button.

Click on that big blue "+" button at the top of the left-hand panel. You appear to have minimised that particular panel, but if you click on the left-pointing arrow which should be above that "+" button that will expand the panel and then you'll see the text "Create New Mask" next to the button.
Hi

Thank you for the advise on that issue. What I am also struggling with is: once you have made your adjustments with the tool, how do you then save and exit the tool. The panel is still showing if I go back in to do more editing? I am also finding that for a complete novice like me, there is not enough info in the book about how to use the gradient tool. For example what all the different icons within the panel are for and how to use them. Maybe you could suggest an additional resource I could access to learn a bit more about some of the editing tools available within the editing menu

What I am also struggling with is: once you have made your adjustments with the tool, how do you then save and exit the tool
In the small vertical panel all the way to the right, click on the icon with the three lines.

there is not enough info in the book about how to use the gradient tool. For example what all the different icons within the panel are for and how to use them.
Ask away Fiona! Which icons in which panels are you stuck on? As well as answering your questions, we can then make sure it's clearer in the next book update too.

Ask away Fiona! Which icons in which panels are you stuck on? As well as answering your questions, we can then make sure it's clearer in the next book update too.
Thank you Victoria. I think its more of me not understanding than it not been in the book perhaps:) Its just the symbols and their functions that I find a bit confusing. On the image below. The big blue cross means add new mask, the square underneath that shows where the mask isin the image. not sure what the next square is with the head and shoulders symbol in it. or the white square with the arrow in it below that. Then really the further two squares not sure about. I think the + and the - is about adding to or subtracting from the mask? Then no idea about the two very bottom symbols, one of which has a red dot in it. I do have a play around with these but not really helping but I am sure it will all fall into place with your generous guidance.

When I have finished working on an image with the masking or healing tool, is it automatically saved? It also seems when I have finished with masking and move on to a different image and then go back to the previous one the mash symbols are still in the image? Is this correct

1711561003690.png

When I have finished working on an image with the masking or healing tool, is it automatically saved? It also seems when I have finished with masking and move on to a different image and then go back to the previous one the mash symbols are still in the image? Is this correct
Yes, adjustments that you make are saved automatically as you make them, though not immediately synced to the cloud until you switch to another image. When you open masking again on an image that already has masks applied, they will be visible (in case you want to change or delete them).

You will probably find the symbols easier to understand if you expand that panel as I suggested in an earlier post (click on the left-pointing arrow immediately above the blue "add" button). All those symbols below the main mask icon are the various sub-masks that you have applied. At any time you can collapse all those sub-masks under the main mask if you want to keep things tidier.

Its just the symbols and their functions that I find a bit confusing.
Ah ok, you just need to turn on a few pages. There's a lesson called The Masks Panel, it starts on page 329 in the latest PDF. You might also find it easier to switch to the full size Masks panel using the little arrow in the top right corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back