• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Limit Keyword list export

• Thread starter Deleted member 39308
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 39308

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi

I have a large hierarchical keyword list and have just finished adding a new subsection in my test catalog. I would like to export just this subsection to import into my main catalog but when I use export keywords from the Metadata menu it exports the whole list even if I just select the subsection. Is there away to just export part of a keyword list? If not what is a good editor to use on a PC? I find MS Word difficult to keep the tab charecters.

No, it's all or nothing.

I'd suggest using Windows Notepad.

NotePad, Word, Excel. Actually any text editor will work.

Before you import the new KW's absolutely assure that you have a backup of your catalog taken just before you bring in the new keywords. The keyword impport from a text file is notoriously weak (meaning it is not very smart) and in not infrequent cases the results are not what you intended. Right after bringing them in, very carefully check your keyword structure to make sure no weird things happened.

I have a large hierarchical keyword list and have just finished adding a new subsection in my test catalog. I would like to export just this subsection to import into my main catalog but when I use export keywords from the Metadata menu it exports the whole list even if I just select the subsection. Is there away to just export part of a keyword list? If not what is a good editor to use on a PC? I find MS Word difficult to keep the tab charecters.
Or just copy this test catalogue, delete the keywords you don't want, and export what's left. Gets round faffing around with text editors.

Yes, I think I will in my test catalog export all my test key words. Delete the other big subsections leaving just the new one, re-export saving as a new filename, reimport my original export into my test catalogue to restore my test catalog key words.

Lightroom has so many annoyances now that Capture One has a Nikon only version it is more affordable maybe it is time to give it a try and find out which has the least number of annoyances.

Hi

I've had success using Excel and saving as a txt file - this was on a MAC but that should not matter.

I've had success using Excel and saving as a txt file - this was on a MAC but that should not matter.
Claude,
Can you describe your workflow starting with export, then editing, and then re-import.

Thanks

Phil Burton

If you export your list from LR (Metadata, Export Keywords, give it a name), then open that file with Excel, you'll see the following dialog to guide Excel:
1590868524099.png

Just accept these basic settings and the file will open in Excel. If you respect the format as you're working (adding, removing) and then save it as a txt file, you should have no trouble importing back into LR. I'm sure you know to back up your LR catalog before importing, and there are some guidelines about the txt file format in Vicrotia's book on page 138.

Hope this helps, and apologize for the delay in responding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back