Richard Behan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Other (please note in thread)
The logo shows up, but then is replaced by an error message: "Lightroom encountered an error when reading from its preview cache and had to quit." Then a hopeful note, "Lightroom will try to fix the problem next time it launches." Launching it again, however, produces a new error message: "Lightroom quit unexpectedly."
I've tried syncing the catalog and resetting preferences, but no cigar. Help, help, LR gurus!

(and TIA)
(Mac OS 10.9.5)

That first error message is pretty self-explanatory, i.e. there's a problem with the previews cache. In those circumstances the only option is to delete the current cache, this should allow Lightroom to start (it will create a new preview cache automatically, which can either be populated by Lightroom over time, of you can force a rebuild manually).

Go to the folder containing the catalog, and alongside that will be a package called "yourcatalogname Previews.lrdata". Rename that package and try restarting Lightroom. Assuming it starts OK, you can go back to the folder and delete the original previews package.

Thanks, Jim, and I'm sorry to be so klutzy, but how do I "go to the folder containing the catalog?" It must be on the hard drive somewhere, but how do I gain access to it? Meanwhile, what would happen if I uninstalled LR and reinstalled it from the disc? (If I did that, would the new install retrieve my catalog?)
Thanks ever so much for taking time to help here. Appreciate it immensely. (I'm an 85 y.o. duffer, and just hanging onto the technology by my fingernails.)

Hey, Jim, whoa. I found the folder with the catalog, and the Lightroom CatalogPreviews.lrdata file. So let me confirm: I'll change the name to Lightroom Catalog Previews renamed.lrdata; then I'll reopen Lightroom; then I'll exit Lightroom; then I'll go back to the renamed file and delete it. Thereafter LR will rebuild the file automatically. Is all this correct? (And what would happen instead if I reinstall LR altogether?) Thanks again, sir.

A slight change of order-

I'll change the name to Lightroom Catalog Previews renamed.lrdata;
Correct

then I'll reopen Lightroom;
Correct

Thereafter LR will rebuild the (Previews) file automatically. Is all this correct?
Correct, You may see grey blank thumbnails in the Library Grid for a while as they re-build.

(And what would happen instead if I reinstall LR altogether?)
Nothing! Only time wasted :)You do not need to re-install if the Preview Cache re-builds OK.

then I'll exit Lightroom;
Anytime, and backup the Catalog to another physical hard-drive, when you exit.
then I'll go back to the renamed file and delete it.
Correct, but no hurry! The renamed .LRDATA file can be deleted at any time, there will be a new .LRDATA file using your catalog's name.

Got the new .lrdata file, deleted the old one....but now attempting to reopen I'm getting the error message, "Lightroom quit unexpectedly." If I click on "Reopen" repeatedly--say 3-4 times, Lightroom will reopen, reluctantly, it seems.

More info to help with diagnosis. I still have a copy of LR5 installed, and it opens correctly. And I just now noticed a new file, "Lightroom Catalog.lrcat.locked." This seems to have appeared just moments ago.

The "lock" file only exists during a Lightroom session, as a means to prevent concurrent use of the catalog file. It's deleted when the catalog is closed or you exit Lightroom.

Back to the main problem, I suggest you try resetting the preferences: How do I reset Lightroom's Preferences? | The Lightroom Queen

Thanks again, Jim. I did the Preferences reset, and optimized the catalog while at it--but the problem persists. I'm wondering now if the LR program itself is corrupted; new .lrdata files seem unable to correct the problem.

Earlier on, before I resorted to the forum here, I did install a fresh version of LR6 from the disk, and then updated it to 6.14 from the Adobe website. I did NOT, however, delete the existing version beforehand, but just "layered" the new on on top of the old.

Perhaps, if the LR program is indeed the culprit here, I SHOULD delete the existing program and then install a fresh new one. If I do that, I imagine the new program will import the catalog from LR5 that is still on my computer--and I would lose the "Collections" created since I moved up to LR6 about year ago. Is that correct?

What is your thinking about this approach? (I'm feeling guilty about imposing so much on your time. How about I buy you a pint of Guinness?)

Cheers,

Dick

Jim, I shot for the moon, deleted LR, reinstalled it, and bingo. And did NOT lose my collections. All seems well, but I could not have arrived here without your help. Thanks again, and the offer of the Guiness stands. (I ran some forum searches and was encouraged to do the reinstall.)

Oh well done! Yes, re-installing doesn't do any harm, both the catalog and the preferences are not affected, so after the reinstall the same catalog should automatically be opened on restart.

Thanks for the offer of the Guinness, but sadly these days it'd have to be fizzy lemonade!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back