• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom won't launch after latest upgrade (Cloud)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katherine Mann

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yesterday I upgraded Lr after the big Cloud Launch. It seemed to go okay but won't run. Nothing happens - click on the icon. Nada.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling with reboots to no avail.

I note that I'm not alone - quite a few people on Adobe's forums are reporting the same issue.

Anyone?

Katherine, Sorry to hear this. Are you a Creative Cloud Subscriber or do you have a perpetual LR license? Have you tried going into the Program Files folder in Explorer and clicking on the LE exe file itself?

Thanks for the quick response!
I am both a CC subscriber and a perpetual Lr license owner.
I did try going into the program files and clicking on the exe. Nothing. It's dead. Poor thing.
I also tried renaming the preferences folder and starting Lr. Nope.

Windows 8.1.

Hi Katherine,

I am curious, did you do the upgrade through the CC desktop app or by downloading LR 5.5 from Adobe? In any case have you tried uninstalling and then retrying the update?

-louie

Well, you've run through my ideas. It has not been 24 hours since the release. Adobe is aware of the issue. So, I'm sure someone there is hard at work on the problem.

Stay tuned to this thread here. Someone may post a workaround or a solution soon.

Louie, I downloaded through the CC desktop ap.

Cletus - good to hear that Adobe is aware of the issue. In the meantime I reinstalled 5.3 for which I had the file hanging around and when it booted, and it did, followed the instruction to upgrade ... downloaded the damned file yet again and I'm about to run the installation ....

I'm far too old to be hysterical about this ... :D

and that didn't work

So I opened my catalog in Lr 5.3 and at least I have a working version until Adobe figures this out.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Well, the third time I downloaded the file from Adobe's download site, and NOT via the CC application, rebooted, and re-installed, it seems to have worked. I have a functional copy of Lr 5.5 on the computer. It seems that the CC application is the problem.

I just spent some time online about a similar problem. It was resolved by downloading a new installer from a link supplied by the support tech. I think Adobe may need to put a new upgrade installer online.

I think as long as you don't use the Creative Cloud ap you don't have problems.
My latest mess is that Lr5 is now running ACR 8.5 and PsCC 2014 is not, and Ps won't upgrade to it. I'll be hanging around in Bridge and Ps for the next bit until they figure it all out.

...My latest mess is that Lr5 is now running ACR 8.5 and PsCC 2014 is not, and Ps won't upgrade to it....
PSCC2014 installs from the CCDesktop and it DOES have ACR 8.5. PSCC (ver 14) updates ACR to 8.5 through the CC Desktop app. PS (Ver 13) that came with CS6 has not yet been updated with ACR 8.5 but should be along shortly.

Open PSCC2014 and check the {About Plugin}{Camera Raw} and it will tell you that you have ACR 8.5 installed.

Thank you Clee - I did check, hence my surprise. This is a screen shot that I just took of the PsCC 2014 about plugin, camera raw result.
attachment.php

Attachments

• about ps.JPG
    about ps.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Clee - I did check, hence my surprise. This is a screen shot that I just took of the PsCC 2014 about plugin, camera raw result.
I'm not sure I believe what you are showing. At the titlebar of Photoshop it should read "Adobe Photoshop CC 2014" Does it? And in the Photoshop "About" it should read "2014.0.0 release" under the title.

Clee, it is PsCC 2014. This is a known issue. People are forcing the thing to upgrade by manually switching out files. I'll wait until Adobe figures it out. I'm not much into hand bombing the files within Photoshop. Thanks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back